Homework for 5 year olds

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
xyzzy

Re: Homework for 5 year olds

Post by xyzzy »

Presumably "where the teacher had miss-spelt" and "spot the miss spelt word" are clever puns on misspelt, with the additional s there to make a joke about what miss did on the board?
mad?

Post by mad? »

xyzzy wrote:Presumably "where the teacher had miss-spelt" and "spot the miss spelt word" are clever puns on misspelt, with the additional s there to make a joke about what miss did on the board?
of course! :oops:
mad?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I have recently attended an invigilator's summer debrief/training session where we discussed, with much amusement, the many spelling and grammatical errors which we found while looking through last years Year 8-10's internal exam papers. There is not much else to do apart from gazing out of the window at the gardeners.

The best ones were part of a section stressing the importance of spelling and grammar in a particular paper.
I will not repeat them lest one of the teachers involved is a lurker on this forum and feels the need to drive to Beachy Head.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: I worry about all my posts on here in case they are identifiable too.

Here's another example of 5 year old homework this week (my DC, year 1).

Four nights only to learn 11 words for her first ever school spelling test - no such thing ever done in reception.

They are supposed to do four nights of look, say, cover, write, check (incompatible with their synthetic phonics approach unless greatly modified).

The words all have the /ee/ sound in them but spelt either ee or ea and the children have to remember whether in those 11 words it is the ee spelling or the ea spelling.

None of the words are in the first hundred high frequency word list, a small proportion are in the next 200.

I don't know whether they have practised these words at school ....... I think not.

I didn't notice the sheet in my daughter's bag until Tuesday (not sure whether this was my mistake or not), so this cut the number of nights down to three.

If they marked for phonic plausibility it would be fine, or half marks etc etc. But the answers are just right or wrong, the chances of coming out with zero are quite high. Not really good psychology for a child's first ever school test, ever, ever!!!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Mystery your poor DD. I feel much happier now I've requested we have them in fives or at least not more than 10, even though strangely I'm the sort of awful 'I think my child needs more of a challenge' mum usually :oops: Would prefer not to have them at all. :D
I do think it's a matter of confidence. My poor DD doesn't want to learn spellings at all and I am reluctant to do the look and cover method at this stage and am relying on playing Fish and Snap with my homemade cards!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, we completely forgot DS2 spellings ( I did..DS was probably just lying low ) until 8.30 this morning.It didn't go very well because yet again half were written down incorrectly and DS told me that I was the one who couldn't spell when I pointed them out.So, I've left him to it.I wonder how many of of 10 he's going to get............ :?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Isn't it frustrating when they insist you're wrong saying - insert voice of huge indignation- "So you're saying Miss X is wrong?"
Didn't worry about DD last night, too busy with DS's French and Latin vocab. tests today. :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now