Waiting on schools getting back to me - when do I call them?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LazyDaisy

Re: Waiting on schools getting back to me - when do I call t

Post by LazyDaisy »

Wow, WFG - as others have said that is a truly shocking thing for a school to say. Absolutely don't choose that school no matter what.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Can I ask if school 2 has a senior department - 13-18?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

No, it's a very academic prep!
mystery

Post by mystery »

So, they should be wanting to remedy your son's weaknesses (as they see them), or are they going to give up on him academically but develop him musically?
mad?

Post by mad? »

mystery wrote:So, they should be wanting to remedy your son's weaknesses (as they see them), or are they going to give up on him academically but develop him musically?
but presumably they are just thinking about what they can add to their list of 'destinations' and don't want to risk having to put any effort in at this stage? Sorry Tippo but I thought you had decided that DS2 was not highly academic?
mad?
Waiting_For_Godot

DS2 is not highly academic but he has an IQ of 137, is top in English, RS and Geography and is in the top sets for all other subjects. But clearly his prep isn't very academic, he struggles with maths and he is disinterested in academics. I still want him to fulfill his potential though and I'm sure many boys at this school don't have as high an IQ. One member of staff admitted that the boys are all tutored and hothoused in order to get in!
mystery

Post by mystery »

You see this is what is puzzling me. I would have expected better thought out feedback from a "highly academic" school, and better testing. From what you have said previously I have always gathered that DS2 is highly intelligent ( an IQ of 137 would place him in some pretty high percentiles) probably more so than many of his teachers.

It would seem that this school must have been testing some display of "learned skills " which your son at this point in time does not display. But they have not contrasted his learned skills with his abilities have they? Does this mean that the teachers who take him on will not have much idea how to "improve him" according to their rule book as he has not had the same "academic" diet as the other boys in his year? This is what I would be wondering, despite it being an "academic" prep.

Is it a day school? If so, it's still worth bearing in mind that some of their results at 13 could be helped by private tutoring.

And just what do you all mean by a child being "academic"? Or highly "academic"? What does it mean, particularly in a nine or ten year old (guessing DS2's age here). And how many boys at this highly "academic" prep are "academic"?
Waiting_For_Godot

180 boys ranging from y4-y8. He was given last terms y5 English and Maths papers - he us y6. The third choice school only gave him a computerised vr/nvr test and offered him a place within 24 hours although it is not as selective but sends to very selective schools. The only downside of the third choice is that it has 866 boys with around 90-100 in the top year groups and that is a huge amount. The biggest school DS has been in had 245 with class sizes of 12. I worry about pastoral care in a large school or him falling between the cracks academically but given the latest feedback I'm not sure about pastoral care at the 2nd!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote: given the latest feedback I'm not sure about pastoral care at the 2nd!
I'm not surprised!
Let's face it all these schools are testing learned skills at this stage...and there is nothing like putting down another prep school to make them feel good about themselves. I know it is hard but sit tight, see what happens with no.1 and then decide. You have a bird in the hand let's see if either of those in the bush materialise and if they do whether they are of interest.
Also FWIW, in my experience, size doesn't matter...it is what you do with it that counts :D
mad?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Giving him last term's English and Maths paper, depending on the paper, is hardly a test of ability or potential etc is it? Not too impressed.

Never knew there were all these huge preps lurking around. They can hardly be full of highly intelligent boys like yours can they? Just well-prepped ones.

If they offer, I would only accept it if (a) the standards to which they "prep" the boys really are high by external standards, not just their standards (b) they seem like they will have a plan to get your son up to speed as he has not attended that school before.

Trouble is with comments like that having been made at the beginning it makes you mistrust them about everything.

Did your son get a taster day and go into lessons? Did it sound as though the lessons were interesting and motivating to your son? If not you're on to a loser really aren't you no matter how well they cram, prep, etc etc as your son sounds quite discriminating about what he likes and does not like.