Social networking harmful to children - discus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sassie'sDad

Social networking harmful to children - discus

Post by Sassie'sDad »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/8 ... ldren.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed's mum

Re: Social networking harmful to children - discus

Post by Ed's mum »

Hmm...is this today's debate?
For the benefit of those who have yet to click on the link, this is an article in The Telegraph suggesting that the internet might be dehumanising children.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think too much of anything can be harmful so everything in moderation.
I have heard a sad story about a little girl who was in the kitchen using a new toaster, and asked her father: “Do I put the slice of bread in portrait or landscape?”
I thought this was funny though! :lol:
;D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Agree with ThingsBehindTheSun.

In the same conversation in the car this morning DS was asking if he could have a Facebook account and slightly later was concerned about losing touch with his primary school friends as they are planning to go their different ways to various schools. I was the one who made the connection! As with anything, if you make it like "forbidden fruit" they will only feel tempted to do it behind your back and possibly miss out on useful lessons about how to use the internet safely. It's a bit like crossing the road - you don't hold their hand tightly until they are ten and then suddenly expect them to cross a busy road completely on their own, it's something that is built up gradually. My deal is that as long as I have full access to the account and can monitor how it is being used, I can't see a problem. DS already uses MSN, which seems to me to be far more "open" in terms of individual security and is not a system I particularly like.
Marylou
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I have heard a sad story about a little girl who was in the kitchen using a new toaster, and asked her father: “Do I put the slice of bread in portrait or landscape?”

I thought this was funny though!
I agree ThingsBehindTheSun, for all Susan Greenfield knows, this girl’s parents might be graphic designers or photographers. My children have always asked “should this letter be upper case?” rather than “should this letter be a capital?” because I’m a writer/editor by profession and that is the terminology I use. Nothing sinister or sad about it whatsoever.

Magazine and book designers have been using the terms ‘portrait’ and ‘landscape’ with me for the whole of my career and I’m pretty sure I pre-date computers :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I love the idea of "portrait" or "landscape" toast and will adopt it immediately!
scary mum
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Yes indeed. It predates it by centuries. Portrait being the upright position of the artist's canvas for a portrait, landscape being broader across to get the vista in. I don't think the toast story is sad at all. I think it's adorable and rather clever of her to ask.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

rather clever of her to ask.
definitely
:D
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Susan Greenfield has been going on about this for ages. She makes it sound like there's scientific basis for it, but as far as I can tell, it's just her opinion. And although she's clearly accomplished a lot, she's not so infallible that I will trustingly accept everything she says :)

I like the toast story too :)

(My own "video games have ruined my child" story is of my son, aged about 4, who looked at my mum's petrol gauge, and told her her health was a bit low :lol: )
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

(My own "video games have ruined my child" story is of my son, aged about 4, who looked at my mum's petrol gauge, and told her her health was a bit low )
:lol: :lol:

my own shameful video game secret....

I was in supermarket , walking past spices aisle and remembered I needed allspice. It was only when I got home and unpacked it that I realised I needed allspice as a vital ingredient in the adventure game I was playing at the time.
I am 54 abandon all hope

:oops: :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now