Social networking harmful to children - discus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Social networking harmful to children - discus

Post by scary mum »

Love it Yoyo!

When our children were younger they just had one video game - I can't remember what it was but it had 8 levels. Whenever we were on a journey and the children started asking "are we nearly there?" we would say we are on level 2 or 3 or whatever - arriving in France on the way to a camp site might be level six, coming off the motorway might be level 7 and being on the road to the camp site might be level 8 - it worked a treat as they could understand what stage of the journey we were at.

Sorry OP, we've gone off topic. I think everything in moderation. Something my children don't necessarily understand. :evil:
scary mum
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Everything in moderation is definitely the key. Unfortunately the media would like to believe that there is an activity that a child can do 24/7 without parental involvement and still thrive. Those of us who live in the real world know that this is wishful thinking and are therefore quite happy to let our children spend an hour playing on a gadget, an hour doing homework, and a hour playing outside without needing to tell the Daily Mail how it leads to social/emotional problems, nervous breakdown, or hypothermia.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

perfectly put push-pull mum.

My grandmother in early 1900s was told that all that reading led to an overactive imagination.