Twas the night before Christmas...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum23*

Re: Twas the night before Christmas...

Post by mum23* »

My SIL thought her son knew the truth and had a conversation re - he's not real and her DS cried and said he still believed. She really regretted it. Unless you have actually said it out loud then there is the sweet illusion even if all concerned know the truth that it just....just....could be....you know, they know, they know you know, you know they know you know but no-one has said it!

I love that story about the bus and the older ones aahh that was so nice. They could have been really mean. I think that shows that DCs love Father Christmas whatever their age and enjoy the fantasy even when they know.

I did say he might not come to my older DDs but not that he wasn't real. Seriously considering mentioning Mrs C now that Scarlett has put that idea in my head :D

But I will admit that we write teeny tiny notes in wiggly writing from the tooth fairy so I am probably not the voice of reason!

We have tracked Santa too, it's fun!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

btw has anyone else done an "elf yourself"? Got sent one from my friend and made me laugh out loud so we did one. Really funny.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My brother sent me one last year...I did fancy doing one myself !

I don't think there's anything wrong with children believing in magical things. I always tell mine that if they don't believe , then they will never see magic happen and they always spend about 5 minutes just staring at me ! DD used to tell her friends that I was a fairy and she also thinks our dog has special powers......but otherwise she is quite normal :lol:

Last year at our village Christmas fair , DD teachers husband was Father Christmas and while sitting next to him she announced that he looked just like Mr*** and did go on about it quite a lot , which made me wonder what was ticking over in her mind ! It probably didn't help that FC then went on to call over DS1 saying "come here leeeetle boy " in a funny voice . :shock:
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Our school Santas have always been a bit suspect so our DC found out from an early age that FC couldn't possibly get to all the school Christmas Fairs, what with his busy schedule at that time of year, so he had to send replacements. The same goes for the very dodgy Santa who shakes his tin outside the local supermarket! :wink:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mum23* wrote:btw has anyone else done an "elf yourself"? Got sent one from my friend and made me laugh out loud so we did one. Really funny.
What???
[insert blank look emoticon]
What is an "elf yourself"?
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Just had a quick search. The site is called something like jibjab. The new one for this year is not ready yet but looks like there is a halloween yourself! basically you and the family put your heads onto elves that do a silly dance. You can then send it to friends as a xmas card or just a bit of fun. If you search it there might be some examples on youtube. It sounds naff but it does look really funny and you can choose different style dances. It's free but I think you can pay a small amount if you wish to keep a copy or that's how it worked when we did it.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

mum23* I think we need a photo. :D
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

:lol: at your daughter Desperado99 thinking her friends are all too naughty to get pressies anyway. Perhaps you could make sure she 'accidentally' finds her pressies from Santa or sees you putting them in her stocking? That's how I found out, I was supposedly asleep and I saw my parents carrying a box of pressies downstairs to fill stockings with. I used to make my brother go into the front room first on Christmas morning just in case Father Christmas was still there having fallen asleep due to all the sherry and amount of work he had to do :oops: :lol:
We did that last year, OH put her pressies in her room under her little tree at 11pm (she saw him as she was only pretending to be asleep) cue histerics at 6am because Santa hadn't been, as "there are only the presents that Daddy put there" :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh, and she's been accidentally finding her presents for years.......

And the school santa's beard fell off when she visited him a few years back......

:D And yet, she's still a firm believer :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mt children must be pretty dim.Every year I run out of space and end up having a huge box with ToysRus emblazoned across the side just randomly placed in my bedroom.No one really notices it and they never ask what it is . :shock: The only family members who do notice it are DH who mutters everytime he falls over it in the night and the dog who bit by bit removes most of the tape holding the box together.
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

Well...... we've had the 'chat' (instigated by DD I hasten to add)

I feel like the most horrid parent :cry:

She came out and asked me outright in the car on the way home from school, year 6 had been making christmas things at school and had been discussing it between themselves....

Initially, it didn't seem to bad.... although she has said many times since that I have 'ruined the magic' for her (she's very good at making me feel bad :roll: ) but she cried when she realised that daddy ate the mince pies that we left out for Santa. I don't think OH realises how horrible I feel over it (based on his comments on facebook today - I'll deal with him later).

I know it's for the best, as there is no way she could have gone to secondary still believing. And I did tell her not to tell any of the kids at school, which she was OK with.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now