Jigaudon by John McCabe for trumpet/cornet

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Jigaudon by John McCabe for trumpet/cornet

Post by ourmaminhavana »

My DS was set this piece by his cornet teacher for a challenge over the holiday. He seems to have grasped the basics quite well (according to DH, I know nothing :oops: ), but we have no idea whether he's got the right tempo, rests between the fractional notes etc and despite Googling madly we've been unable to find a You Tube clip or any version of someone actually playing it. I just wondered if anyone's DC was familiar with it and could give him a clue?! Thanks! I know it's a bit of a long shot, but you never know....
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Jigaudon by John McCabe for trumpet/cornet

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

A metronome will tell him if he has the right tempo and rest time between the notes. I assume his teacher has told him if he is playing correctly.

Sounds like he's getting to the stage where mum and dad will just have to sit back and enjoy. I've got there now as DS2 has surpassed my musical knowledge. It's actually quite liberating! :lol: Is it a graded piece?

Just noticed it is grade 6. How old is he? I ask because I am currently having a debate with some mothers of musical children who are saying its very unusual to have 11 year olds play to grade 5 level on wind instruments!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

[quote="Waiting_For_Godot"cA metronome will tell him if he has the right tempo and rest time between the notes. I assume his teacher has told him if he is playing correctly.[/quote]

Thanks for answering WFG. DH has a metronome, but DS's teacher hasn't gone through it with him yet. He tends to set a challenge each week and leave a piece for him to work out for himself which I actually like and which suits my son's temperament.
Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Just noticed it is grade 6. How old is he? I ask because I am currently having a debate with some mothers of musical children who are saying its very unusual to have 11 year olds play to grade 5 level on wind instruments!
He's 12. This piece is much harder than the others he's been given, but he seems to have the right idea.... I just wanted him to 'succeed' and demonstrate what he could do.

PS Sadly, it's been beyond my musical capabilities right from the start :lol:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Problem solved. :D I've finally found this brilliant site:
http://www.youronlinepianist.com/store/ ... hp?AboutUs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the downside my son is now worried at how fast it is! :shock:
Waiting_For_Godot

The speed is not too important unless he wants to sit the exam. DS has played a fast piece for three auditions but he has not played it as fast as it should be. So far it hasn't been detrimental. Sometimes the slow controlled piece can be the hardest.

DS sounds very bright - have you considered the NCO?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Problem solved. :D I've finally found this brilliant site:
http://www.youronlinepianist.com/store/ ... hp?AboutUs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the downside my son is now worried at how fast it is! :shock:

Thank you for the link - that's a fantastic site. I've got to the point where I don't have the confidence that I can play the accompaniment to my DS's pieces sufficiently accurately. This will make all the difference.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote: DS sounds very bright - have you considered the NCO?
Aw thanks WFG, but I don't think he's up to that standard. I hope I haven't given the wrong impression! :oops:
His cornet teacher is fantastic and runs a highly successful youth band which we're hoping DS may be invited to join in a year or two. (Where's that fingers crossed emoticon? :lol: )

Glad to be of help Twinkle. :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you ourmaminhavana! I agree, what a wonderful site. I have two sons who play the trumpet, this will be very useful to us. :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Wish they had something similar for bassoon. :(
solimum

Post by solimum »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Wish they had something similar for bassoon. :(
I've just looked at the site out of interest - they do have accompaniments for some of the bassoon graded pieces WFG (and you can request others). The preview sounds a little "clunky" through my laptop but it's certainly a good idea as a starting point for those who don't have regular access to a pianist. Probably doesn't get as nervous as I was playing for my DS's bassoon exams either!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now