Why isn't there a Downton Abbey thread?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Doblinski

Re: Why isn't there a Downton Abbey thread?

Post by Doblinski »

No no sorry but Matthew has got to Marry Mary. It'd be like Mr Darcy marrying Bingley's sister otherwise - just not right.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Future plot:

Maybe Lady C had an affair with Carson when she was newly married, new wife (wasn't it a marriage of convenience) and Mary is actually Carson's daughter. She did say a week or so again that Carson practically brought her up, and they always seem to have a special bond.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Now I've caught up on my viewing I've been able to read this thread, and subsequently contribute :D

My dd's school has achieved countrywide notoriety by being named in Downton!! - as if Richard Hammond and William Hague being 'old boys' wasn't enough :lol: :lol: Interesting to hear them using the term 'scholarship' when his lordship was talking to maid (who he's surely going to knock off) about her boy! Did they have scholarships to grammar schools? Is someone getting their independents and their grammars mixed?

Anyhow. Lady Mummy American person (see, I know their names too :lol: ) will die from the Spanish flu. Lady Mary will end up with he who's had the miraculous recovery from the wheelchair (although how anyone can spend months in a wheelchair and then suddenly stand without strengthening their muscles first is beyond me).

Nasty footman turned house manager turned lost all his money person will end up being footman again - unless Lady Mary really does marry the newspaper magnate, the butler really does move to Haxby with them and nasty footman turned house manager turned lost all his money person (and ex corrie man too) then becomes butler at Downton.

Understand all that? No I didn't either :lol:

I still love it - wonder if there'll be another series?
aargh

Post by aargh »

Snowdrops wrote:Interesting to hear them using the term 'scholarship' when his lordship was talking to maid (who he's surely going to knock off) about her boy! Did they have scholarships to grammar schools? Is someone getting their independents and their grammars mixed?
Grammars did not become fully part of the state education system until 1944.
Previously Grammar schools were fee paying, copying their ethos and curriculum from public schools but charging less, though Councils did support them with grants. Bright kids, from poor backgrounds, could try for scholarships.
Wiki says:
Under the Education (Administrative Provisions) Act 1907 all grant-aided secondary schools were required to provide at least 25 percent of their places as free scholarships for students from public elementary schools. Grammar schools thus emerged as one part of the highly varied education system of England and Wales before 1944.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

aargh wrote:I can see why Lady Mary might go for Matthew, but why would he want her?
Lady Mary seems rather unpleasant to me. I also get irritated by her voice. She has the same intonation regardless of what is going on, no expression whatever and the tone makes her sound perpetually bored or acrimonious.

I know, I want to slap her quite hard. Several times.

Have always loved going around stately homes and I'm convinced that I really shouldn't have been born into the riffraff class. I'd quite like to be a 'Lady' - Lady inkypinkyponky? -maybe not, doesn't quite flow.

Love Downton Abbey, can't wait for sunday's episode. I didn't realise there was going to be a Christmas special. I was hoping story lines might wrap up, but now think things will be left hanging until that episode - oh no!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

aargh wrote:
Snowdrops wrote:Interesting to hear them using the term 'scholarship' when his lordship was talking to maid (who he's surely going to knock off) about her boy! Did they have scholarships to grammar schools? Is someone getting their independents and their grammars mixed?
Previously Grammar schools were fee paying, copying their ethos and curriculum from public schools but charging less, though Councils did support them with grants. Bright kids, from poor backgrounds, could try for scholarships.
Wiki says:
Under the Education (Administrative Provisions) Act 1907 all grant-aided secondary schools were required to provide at least 25 percent of their places as free scholarships for students from public elementary schools. Grammar schools thus emerged as one part of the highly varied education system of England and Wales before 1944.

AAH, thank you for that aargh, very interesting, not something I knew about (obviously :roll: :lol: ).
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Snowdrops wrote:
aargh wrote:
Wiki says:
I went to a direct-grant grammar school, with approximately half of the places fee-paying and the remainder fully subsidised depending on performance in an entrance examination and an 11+ pass. I remember my mother referring to the whole process as "doing the scholarship...."
Marylou
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Saw an interview with Julian Fellows (writer, and posh neighbour in Monarch of the Glen) recently. He said he was hoping for a third series, but nothing is definite yet.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

According to today's Independent, it has been announced that there is to be a third series and they (not the Indy) have published the cast list which could give away who dies and who survives the end of the current series. All of which to warn - DON'T LOOK at details of the third series if you don't want to spoil the cliffhanger!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

inkypinkyponky wrote: I'd quite like to be a 'Lady' - Lady inkypinkyponky? -maybe not, doesn't quite flow.

I think you would be Lady Inky De Pinky - Ponky. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now