War horse

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jeepers

Re: War horse

Post by Jeepers »

Thank you for all your feedback. I think DCs interest comes from his interest in all things historical esp WW1, I would love to see it for the staging as it looks superb.

He's read the book said it was Ok but there are some sad bits. ...but I did wonder if somehow the theatre might make it a bit more intense if you know what I mean (I am still scarred by the shaking idiot that I turned into when I went on a "works trip" to see the woman in white about a million years ago). :oops:

Anyway I think the only thing to do is to get the tissues ready and sit down and read the book myself...which I'm not really looking forward to...I am still upset by what happens to Ginger in black beauty :cry:
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

I'd love to see the play, but am afraid I'd start blubbing and wouldn't be able to stop ( I cry at RSPCA adverts)

It was traumatic enough speed-reading the book in a quiet corner of Waterstones in Bluewater! :oops:

For those of you who have read the book, did you know a sequel has just been published?

A Red House book catalogue came through the post yesterday - the book is called "Farm Boy" and it tells the story of Joey, 50 years after the War Horse story. (let me know how sad it is and I'll pop to Bluewater again!)

(Jeepers - I read Black Beauty when I was 8, and 36 years later I'm still traumatised by the death of Ginger :(
I know Anna Sewell wrote the book as a way of publicising how awful the lives were of carriage horses - I hope it worked.)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

My two are quite experienced theatre goers, one of the (very few) advantages of being near enough to London to go to the West End in the evening, and both loved it. DS, whose favourite subject is history, says it’s by far the best thing he has ever seen at the theatre and DD went last year, aged 12, and also adored it.

I have to say I think 10 is right on the border of being old enough. For a sensitive and/or animal loving DC I might wait a little longer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:My two are quite experienced theatre goers, one of the (very few) advantages of being near enough to London to go to the West End in the evening, and both loved it. DS, whose favourite subject is history, says it’s by far the best thing he has ever seen at the theatre and DD went last year, aged 12, and also adored it.

I have to say I think 10 is right on the border of being old enough. For a sensitive and/or animal loving DC I might wait a little longer.
My DS's least favourite subject is history, and he loved it too. :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

My DS's least favourite subject is history
Under his mother’s influence, no doubt :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:
My DS's least favourite subject is history
Under his mother’s influence, no doubt :lol:
If only it were that easy to influence him. I am sure some people enjoy history. There are even some who like film studies, I gather.

Sorry, off topic.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

You must take your children to this show. (my son is in it!!) Remember the book MM wrote is a children's book and the play tries to stay true to it as much as it can.
Great to go to the theatre and actually learn somthing from it too...!! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now