French

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Torty

French

Post by Torty »

My DD has French in her timetable now she is at Indie school. Her old state primary school didn't include a language/French.

I have bought her books and a dictionary. Does anyone recommend any good DVD's etc to help learn French? If anyone is from the Bromley / Bexley area and selling any I would be interested.
Marylou

Re: French

Post by Marylou »

There is some good online material available on the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryfre ... lash.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (says the site is retired but still works) and the new site http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryfre ... lash.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - only had a quick look at it but it seems really good, with a useful section on French sounds with videos of young French native speakers to copy pronunciation from!

I wish things like this had been around when I was learning... :lol:
Marylou
um

Post by um »

I feel this is one area where children who come from the state sector have a huge disadvantage.
My ds1's Primary did Spanish - as do quite a few others these days; and when he entered Grammar, he did so with many Indie pupils who had been learning French from age 3. Oddly enough, they were not streamed and so my son was in a sink-or-swim situation (he sank) which entirely put him off French for life, I am afraid.

My Mum bought the 'Muzzy' videos over that I'd had as a child (BBC still produce them although I presume they're dvds these days!) and they are very good for building confidence in basic skills. The problem was that by then ds1 just wasn't interested.

He started German this year and I was initially very sceptical, thinking that if he was struggling so much in one language, why now add another? However, as all the boys have begun on a more level playing field, ds1 has really excelled at German and loves it, and has announced that he will drop French and take German for GCSE.

With ds2, I do hope that he will attain a Grammar, as there are a few in our area, but will try to spend the 'wilderness months' between the 11 plus and starting secondary, helping with his French, so he doesn't end up struggling so much later.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Keep your fingers crossed, um, ours was in the same position but I think he might have turned a corner this year. He's still, I think, talking about dropping French next year though (at least they get that choice now!). My worry is that although they get brilliant results, there's always a handful that fail and I'd rather he wasn't one of them.

Their results in German are actually much better, but in the past that was because everyone had to do French and anyone who did German had chosen to do it in addition, so it doesn't offer any clues to what might happen in future when it's being chosen to avoid continuing French.

Language teaching in state primaries is somewhat laughable. At ours the teacher spoke no French and was literally one page ahead of the class - but even this pointless exercise only started the year after our son left.

Mike
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Try the Max et Mathilde books and CDs from Ladybird. They are aimed at primary school children, so might be a bit too young for your DC now, but my DC loved them. Particularly useful for the long drive from ferry to camp site in the summer.

The website also has lots of free stuff you can download; http://www.ladybird.co.uk/maxetmathilde/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Torty

Post by Torty »

Thanks everyone for great replies ... will look at Ladybird.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If you have a ninetindo ds there is always "My French coach" - all of mine will play this when encouraged! The only disadvantage is that the lessons have to be done in order which may not be the order they are taught at school but it is fairly fun and lessons can be replayed over and over. I recommend headphones though!
moved

Post by moved »

We used Adibou when our children needed to learn French, but it is aimed at primary children. French for the French, but very amusing to hear DS telling me he had to click on the champignons! It is available on CD from FNAC or Amazon.fr