What to buy your partner/husband?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: What to buy your partner/husband?

Post by scary mum »

The idea of a workmate made me laugh. When we were newly married I suggested buying DH a drill. He said if I got him a drill he would buy me an iron!

It was probably a bit of a low point in our relationship. I think I got a breadmaker in return the following year (it did have some diamond earrings inside :D ). And I still use the breadmaker, probably more than he has used the Workmate.
scary mum
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Oh wow now I wouldn't have minded getting an iron if it had some diamond earrings inside the box! :D I'm quite a practical person and I saw nothing wrong with getting him a drill - he didn't agree. :lol:
sp

Post by sp »

Last summer DH bought an iPad at Duty free on way to our family holiday. He said I could have it for my birthday which was coming up. Ha ha, I said, you can't fob me off with that!
Now I am an iPad fan, take it on the train , holidays etc etc. Downloaded loads of books and it is easy to read.
If funds allow, would recommend to anyone. All our family use it so maybe you could have one as a shared present?
logic32

Post by logic32 »

My husband buys all his own presents, mostly cd's, dvd's etc. and all I have to do is wrap them up ! At least then he gets what he wants. I usually get him once surprise nice thing and one surprise 'c**p' present. The latter has now turned into his favourite gift as he is constantly amazed at how I manage to find something so completely useless each year !
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

What a good idea, Logic ! Added to my usual dilemma is my mother in law who usually rings me up on Christmas Eve in pieces because she hasn't bought DH a present and has no idea what to get ( join the club ) so I feel obliged to give her the present I'd bought him to give instead. :( :evil:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Books please! Can never have too many. Also theatre and/or concert tickets, definitely. And shower gel etc from the Body Shop, which is really nice but which I never buy for myself because it means going into the Body Shop… :D

Fran, I’m sorry, if DW gave me a drill I might be tempted to drill holes in her wardrobe :lol: That said, one year she arranged for all our hedges to be cut professionally, which is a job she knows I hate doing, and that was a brilliant idea.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Careful with the books - Mrs 1880 and her family have bought me tons of books over the years which they've obviously taken a lot of care and thought to choose - but until last birthday (when either wife or children accurately identified one of the two books I'd not read by one of my current favourite authors) they've never managed to find one I wanted to read. They all go to the bookstall at the local community centre (after a decent interval during which I hope they've been forgotten about). I've set up a wish list on Amazon in the hope that someone will look at it in future...

In the absence of books I'm always happy to settle for beer, wine and clothes. Theatre tokens would be nice though.

I'm wary of Kindles: Miss 1880 is on her second replacement, the original and its first replacement both having frozen and died. Which is annoying when she saved up to buy it from her pocket as a 10 year old. Amazon are at least being very helpful about replacing them though (so far).

Mike
marigold

Post by marigold »

Amazon have been wonderful with our kindle related problems too.

My Mother, who I am able to say as she will never read this, is a total half wit with anything to do with technology bought herself a kindle last year. Within a month she on first name terms with a lovely man called Neil in Ireland on the Kindle help line whom she phoned daily for advice on how to load up books and then read them.
My daughter had a slight problem with the fastening on her kindle case. I sent an email to Amazon asking if we could return it and by the time I had stood up, walked to the bottom of the stairs and shouted up to her that I had contacted Amazon, an email arrived saying a replacement was in the post.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Can anyone offer advice on cases for the Kindle (pressie from kids to Dad)? DH bought me an ipad with a case but it is much too big and bulky - fold over "leather", so I never use it. There are some rubberised Kindle cases without a front cover which appeal, as if you drop it they will be protected, but you don't have to take it out of a case when you want to use it. One of the beauties of a kindle is it's size, so i don't want to make it enormous by adding a bulky case (think slipping it in a suit pocket). Anyone have experience of different cases?
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Artwork?

Talking of cr*p presents, one year I bought dear hubby ( :D ) a nose and ear hair clipper for a laugh (teasing him he was getting old :lol: ) and it's turned out to be one of the best pressies he's had!

I'm all for making lists of things you want from others. I went years of smilingly accepting what people gave me and then tossing them to the back of the cupboard. Now I write a list and give to all of them, they then decide between them who's getting what. I still get one or two surprises :shock: ( :lol: ) so that's nice too. But most of all, the money spent doesn't now get wasted and they know they've given me something I really, really want :D :D

We have one rule in our house. From 1st November onwards no-one buys themselves anything new, that way we hope to avoid buying things we've already got iyswim!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now