Problem seeing child's schoolwork

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Problem seeing child's schoolwork

Post by mystery »

Yes I've asked in person, still no joy.

Amber what exactly are the issues associated with parents seeing school books (and did I say on a regular basis?) that lead to the sharp intake of breath?!! Is it because you feel at your school they are only worth putting in the bin at the end of the year and you don't want parents to see this? I have school exercise books from my school days, and also some of my mother's and father-in-laws. They are very interesting.

However, most school policies I consign to the bin. Some schools make a good effort with them, others clearly just write them for the sake of compliance and they are ****. It's a shame that intelligent governors waste so much time on useless ones.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Yes I've asked in person, still no joy.

Amber what exactly are the issues associated with parents seeing school books (and did I say on a regular basis?) that lead to the sharp intake of breath?!! Is it because you feel at your school they are only worth putting in the bin at the end of the year and you don't want parents to see this? I have school exercise books from my school days, and also some of my mother's and father-in-laws. They are very interesting.

However, most school policies I consign to the bin. Some schools make a good effort with them, others clearly just write them for the sake of compliance and they are ****. It's a shame that intelligent governors waste so much time on useless ones.
Oh mystery. I don't know. I have 3 kids and if I had kept every single maths, PSHE, science, history etc book since they all started school my loft would be in more danger of caving in than it is. It is just of no interest to me that they learned to add in Year 1 or about the Victorians in Year 2. I have, however, kept and logged masses and masses of stuff they have done at home since they were tiny, which to me is far more interesting and creative than the standard, formulaic stuff done at school. I have pages and pages of laminated pictures, little letters they have written to me and other people, items they have used in play, things which tell me about my own child rather than the school.

I don't have 'issues' with it - I just don't understand what the fuss is about to be honest. I think if the school was aware how much it mattered to you they would probably let you see the books - perhaps like me, the teachers don't really 'get' it. Sorry. :oops:

I have just noticed, upon re-reading,that there is a hint of a suggestion there that I am not proud of how I teach and would not wish parents to see evidence. Perhaps I misunderstood; either way I will choose not to rise to it if it was intended that way.
mystery

Post by mystery »

No it wasn't intended that way. Of course I will bin the majority of school stuff too. But you seemed to be saying that there was no way that parents should see school books other than at parents' evening, and other than this being the common party-line at a lot of schools, I see no reason for it. And note I was asking to see the literacy and numeracy books only, from time to time, because there is an issue. And no, I don't think this particular school would be any more convinced by the fact that I am apparently bothered about it.

Perhaps Amber if you read what I had written in the OP you would understand what I am asking and why!! No point in getting huffy when you ccould have been interpreted as sounding a bit "off" yourself may I politely point out! However, I'll ignore that too!!

And Rob, why is it "unreasonable"? I am not asking for anything that would take up teacher time, so this seems a little ludicrous IMHO. Is this part of Governor training? Fortunately, Scarlett's husband has failed to attend the same LA course it would seem!! Joke, of course, please laugh.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I don't understand the problem with letting you see the books. In my youngest son's primary the teachers made it clear parents were welcome to go into school and look at their child's work at any time. He was a little older than your DD when he started at that particular school but I would think the policy was the same in all the year groups. Do you think it is the issue of taking the books home and them possibly getting lost? I do think it is a shame because you are just being an interested, conscientious parent who wants to encourage, support and praise your DD. The trouble is I suppose your DD's teacher maybe has 30 pupils to consider and perhaps doesn't want to start a trend. I do think it is very positive that the teacher has a quick word with you every night regarding your DD's day, she is obviously addressing the concerns she had and knows you are supportive of her. I too would consider asking in person and explain that you want to praise your DD for the improvement she has made. Maybe she will realise how important it is to you.

Sorry, I just realised you did ask in person. Maybe just a polite, big smiley faced reminder then.
Last edited by Fran17 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think my DH must have missed lots of courses , because he's just home from work, I've asked his opinion as a Governor and he replied that he didn't think it was unreasonable at all ...if there are extenuating circumstances then perhaps the work is photocopied...this is just her workbooks ? not a school record ....but then my DH is a bit of a rebel :P
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

scarlett wrote: ....but then my DH is a bit of a rebel :P
:lol: Every school should have one!
mad?

Post by mad? »

mystery wrote: It's a shame that intelligent governors waste so much time on useless ones.
I think that is a completely unnecessary remark. It may be irritating that intelligent governors do not spend their time doing what we want them to. I am sure it is a source of great irritation to most governors that they are not permitted to involve themselves in the areas that had originally prompted them to volunteer and have to spend their time doing things which they consider to be useless, let alone the things that others do. However, without them we would have no schools at all so in the current set up it's a bit of luck someone does it. A thankless task which is ridiculed.
I do not know why a school would 'hide' books, if indeed they do. I do not know why a reception child would even have them. Nor do I know why a parent would think it was so critical so see them. I guess we have been here before mystery so I'll bow out now. However, it might be worth considering some of the advice here, which I am sure on all sides of the debate is given in good faith and with the intention of helping.
mad?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Who said it was a reception child? And why can't I say it's ashame that intelligent governors waste time on useless policies. It is a shame.
mystery

Post by mystery »

And I am grateful for all the advice, varying from never mind don't try and see the books, to ask again. My other question was about why (some) schools are so reluctant for parents to see children's books except at parents' evenings ( October too early for them really to have anything in them, and June too late for it be any different from receiving the books in the summer hols). One answer so far - parents might lose them. Are there any other reasons - other than an assumption that parents will find them of no use?
marigold

Post by marigold »

mystery, I am afraid I can give little advice with how to deal with the school, however re your husbands desire to see the school books .... At the beginning of each year I used to ask for a list of dates for things like parents evenings, Christmas concerts, sports days, class assemblies etc mainly so I could plan the days I could work around being free for them but also to give my husband plenty of time to take a day off or to arrange to be out of the country ( all sports days from year 1 onwards ). Perhaps you could do the same and this will give your husband plenty of notice to book annual leave for the next one.