Teacher's political rant

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

Re: Teacher's political rant

Post by katel »

Bear in mind also, that the "half hour political rant" may have actually been a couple of minutes of mild mannered explanation. Year 8s a not, in my experience the most reliable of witnesses!
Kesteven

Post by Kesteven »

Moosh, you have every justification for putting in a complaint. It is crass and unprofessional for any teacher to promote their own political views in the classroom, and for these to be so patently self-serving. Obviously, you are merely reporting what your DS reported, and this may not quite catch every nuance of the dialogue (or monologue). But it's out of order. And it should be brought to the school's attention.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I wouldn't complain.If a year 8 child cannot hear an opinion without recognising it as an opinion - I would be surprised.If they can't, then it is a great chance for some discussion with parents about differing points of view/how to form your own/reading about issues in the media etc.
One of my daughters , at that age, was treated by her history teacher to a ten minute sharing of how the teacher thought Mrs Thatcher was wonderful.( not related to the lesson as such)Obviously , anyone who reads my posts might suspect I don't agree.However I wouldn't and didn't complain.I want my children to have the maturity by 13 to engage with different points of view.
Also I believe that although generally speaking, a teacher should stay on topic to achieve the lesson objectives, sometimes much can be gained by the sharing of ideas in these asides.
It absolutely goes without saying that if the views were racist or homophobic etc - it would be something to report.
um

Post by um »

My ds2 was insisting he wanted to join his (beloved) teacher in the city centre at the demo. He was even threatening to get the train in alone :shock:

I do sympathise with teachers, who in the main are underpaid for the incredible job they do, but I could do without ds2's hysterics :roll:

He ended up going ski-ing with ds1, thankfully.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now