Christmas Cheer and the case of the small banana

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Re: Christmas Cheer and the case of the small banana

Post by Looking for help »

We have recently changed doctor's surgery because we moved house. I am struggling to understand that the receptionists at the new place are really helpful folk....when they say yes of course Mrs **** would you like am or pm ? and don't ask me what the matter is when I call as if they do a sort of first round screening to decide whether I need to see a doctor or not, I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

So maybe there is a nice school for training receptionists, and it is situated in Kent :D , which is the garden of England (isn't it ?) and there are all the bananas
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Looking for help wrote: So maybe there is a nice school for training receptionists, and it is situated in Kent :D , which is the garden of England (isn't it ?) and there are all the bananas
We have strong, fertile and well drained soil in addition to a mild climate. It's why Kent is / was famous for growing hops. Darling Buds...

Maybe that's why all our receptionists are happy people! :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

yoyo123 wrote:I would have given you the banana but told mini um not to tell anyone because I would get into trouble..but then I am known as an anarchist!

Yes, I agree with Yoyo..it depends on the type of person ..I regularly do things I shouldn't at work , but I just tell them to keep it under their hat ( and luckily for my job security they do ! )

Yes , we're all lovely in Kent. :D
um

Post by um »

yoyo123 wrote:Kent ..lovely with your children and generous with our bananas...

as a slogan may need some work.
In addition to vision statement inclusion, I think we also need school governors to ratify a school banana distribution policy asap :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I expect they had visions of a stampeding mob of out of control toddlers storming the office shrieking "I want a banana too! X got a banana! Why can't I have one? It's not FAAAAAIIIIIIIR!".

The receptionists at our primary were wonderful, but I never tested their patience with demands for illicit fruit.

Mike
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My son and his friend once got in trouble for 'stealing' a satsuma. There was a pile of fruit left over after break time and my DS and his friend asked one of the nice lunchtime assistants if they could have one. She said yes but not to tell anyone. Evil lunchtime assistant saw them and took them to their teacher who told them off for stealing, they didn't want to tell on the nice dinner lady so they took the punishment. :( She had to go to see the teacher to say she had given them permission. Nice lady.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am sure there will be a government spare fruit "initiative" at some time, complete with weighty handbook and training ......
um

Post by um »

Goodness, Fran, what was the 'punishment'? Flogging? Being sold to a local undertaker?

This is all becoming rather Dickensian.

Should we go to the Daily Mail together with our stories of woe? I can see the headlines: SCHOOL CHILDREN DENIED FRUIT WHILST ASYLUM SEEKERS RECEIVE FREE JAM.
We might even get a quote from Jamie Oliver!

Seriously though, I am still rather upset.
Had dc5 been a little older I would have expected him to wait and not expect instant banana gratification. But, being 28 month old, he suffers from rumbly tummies and a baby's understanding of instant need.
I just cant get over how very rude and condescending the receptionists were :(
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Our school must be pretty nice too. I'm a bit of a soft touch when it comes to children wanting to play after school and regularly find myself leading ( or following with all the bags , lunchtins, coats etc ) a whole horde of children...the reception teacher often runs out with a big bag of left over fruit to take with us. She must feel sorry for me.

The answer is............move to Kent ! :D

Don't worry, Um ..you're just having a bit of a stew over it all ..that's good for the old mental health. Just give the receptionist a sweeping , disdainful down your nose look ( practice in the mirror first ) and you'll feel much better soon. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now