Christmas teacher's presents

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Christmas teacher's presents

Post by um »

I am never completely sure what to do for Christmas for the very many teachers, assistants, etc who help my children.

I really want to show my appreciation but the amount of people to buy for between all 5 dcs is a little overwhelming!
dc1 obviously has loads of teachers, dc2 and dc4 have 2 job-share teachers, plus assistants, dc3 has had a few student teachers as well as the main one, dc5 has lots of playgroup workers :?

Any thoughts?
Snowdrops

Re: Christmas teacher's presents

Post by Snowdrops »

A box of quality streets or such like for each staff room (5 in all!).

It's the thought that counts, and by providing a box of sweeties (or biscuits etc) then all teachers and assistants, together with deputies and heads can have a little treat amongst the mayhem.
Kesteven

Post by Kesteven »

Personally, I would err on the side of frugality. A card will suffice as an appreciation. Staff rooms are knee deep in cakes, sweets and chocolates at this time of year. And the end-of-school-year gifts are becoming an embarrassment; well beyond the token level that public servants (like myself) should expect.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Think this has probably been said on here before but for me, the best things I ever get are home made cards from the children, or failing that, cards they have written themselves using their own words. I really don't care about the presents, though I have had some lovely ones over the years, but if a child, or teenager, does something themselves then that is different. I think one of the worst things was when parents at a school one of my children was at had a whip round and gave a lavish voucher to teachers - all the contributing parents got to sign a card and the non-contributors didn't. I am not sure whether the size of signature was proportional to the donation, but I felt that was far too clinical. In short, personal is best, and a few carefully chosen words in a card mean more to me than chocolates or champagne.*

*I might not be being totally honest about the champagne
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

DD1 year 12, and DD2 year 10 don't give teacher presents as they'd have to give so many.

DS year 1 , gives a small hand-made present to his teacher, TA and lollypop lady. I buy plain felt tree decorations shapes, usually a tree or snowflake (Hobbycraft or M&S sell nice ones) which he decorates with christmassy stickers/ tissue paper and lashings of glitter :shock: . Just a little thing that can be hung on a tree and he can be remembered for being a lovely little boy :mrgreen: (hopefully!)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Lady Inky, I would have thought your present giving would be most lavish. :)

My children just make a Christmas card. I only send a present in when they are leaving a teacher at the end of a year. I just remember my Mum coming home with a big box of tat from her school telling me to help myself ( not to the wine of course, My father and her would hurry off with that pretty sharpish ) and my bedroom would soon be an Aladdins Cave of photo frames and scented candles.

Some presents are just :shock: One parent bought a teacher a gold compact with her childrens names engraved inside .The thing was, her children were definitely the ones you really don't want to be reminded of everytime you powder your nose. :lol:
vasu

Post by vasu »

I am getting the teachers and Teaching assistants(no discrimination) tassel bookmarks. Did not cost me a bomb and they can use it or they can pass on to others. All in all it will be used for a good purpose. Isn't there a smiley with a halo on it!!!!!! :wink:
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

We just stick with food items which tends to be either chocolate or biscuit boxes for individual teachers.
;D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now