Is KS3 a waste of time?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
succeed

Re: Is KS3 a waste of time?

Post by succeed »

Being an academy won't make any difference, but not being tied to the requirements of the examination board/league tables certainly does.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

not being tied to the requirements of the examination board/league tables certainly does.
No ... Academies still have to cover exam board syllabuses and arguable will be more interested in league tables - no local authority to help them out if their numbers fall.

Being an Academy is certainly not a bed of roses :roll:
succeed

Post by succeed »

Hi Guest 55.No, I wasn't suggesting that academies aren't tied to the exam board requirements / league tables at ks4, just not at at ks3, like the rest of us!

I also worry for the future of education under the academy system, but that's a whole new debate in itself.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

succeed wrote:Hi Guest 55.No, I wasn't suggesting that academies aren't tied to the exam board requirements / league tables at ks4, just not at at ks3, like the rest of us!
What's wrong in not tying the KS3 to exam board requirements?
Impossible is Nothing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The problem I have seen is that Academies are tending to reduce the breadth of KS3 ... using their 'freedom' to cut out subjects and not enhance the education of pupils.

Teachers are finding they now have fewer non-contact periods which then means they are not so willing to run extra-curricular opportunities.

Many schools saw the 'freedom' and are now realising the reality.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Guest55 wrote:using their 'freedom' to cut out subjects and not enhance the education of pupils.
Oh well, its having the opposite effect then. I thought not being tied to an exam board early means the schools could enhance the education of the pupils but I get the downside to it. Used correctly the freedom they are given could work quite well. By the way are you talking about the old or new academies here?
Impossible is Nothing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Both types of Academy but in different ways.

Old type - academic options reduced

New type - breadth reduced - cutting out expensive options e.g. technology and increasing set sizes in sixth forms
succeed

Post by succeed »

sherry_d wrote:
succeed wrote:Hi Guest 55.No, I wasn't suggesting that academies aren't tied to the exam board requirements / league tables at ks4, just not at at ks3, like the rest of us!
What's wrong in not tying the KS3 to exam board requirements?

Just to clarify, there is nothing wrong with ks3 not being tied to exam boards/league tables - quite the opposite. I am deeply opposed to any move which would have pupils, on mass, taking gcses earlier.

With regard to the question about which academies are 'stream lining' - old or new - I have heard it happening in both.I know of very few teachers now working in academies that are happy with the changes academy status has brought for them or the pupils. Sadly, the government has indirectly forced many schools into opting for academy status by offering generous cash lumps sums to schools who do, whilst cutting overall state funding for schools who don't.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now