At risk of sounding ungrateful...suggestions please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: At risk of sounding ungrateful...suggestions please

Post by Amber »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I'm surprised it's not crossed your mind to give it to those less fortunate. :?
Ouch . :cry:
Why do you think I posted on here? If I was hoping to sell if off for profit I would just have gone on EBay. I could hardly go out into the street and approach some people I thought looked worse off, now could I? I tried to word it carefully but obviously not carefully enough for you, WFG.
Guest55 wrote:WFG - it did, hence her post on here. It can be difficult to know who truly deserves help and who is just shouting loudly sometimes. :D
Thanks G55. I just wasn't sure how to go about identifying likely recipients, or even if there is some health and safety edict which would have prevented it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Not near Leeds or London but have plenty of ideas now. I am going to start with the local old people's home.
marigold

Post by marigold »

When you do decide who to give your goodies to, can you ask if they want five pairs of the most disgusting hand knitted slipper socks you could ever hope to see, sent from Australia by my sister.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:When you do decide who to give your goodies to, can you ask if they want five pairs of the most disgusting hand knitted slipper socks you could ever hope to see, sent from Australia by my sister.
And a mountain of cheesy 'coffee table' books which have already been dispatched to our downstairs cloakroom?
mad?
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Hi

A local church is a great idea - our local church happily takes food donations. They then distribute it to single mums, the elderly and also send some items to orphanages etc in Kenya.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Boo
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The Trussell trust mentioned before has a food bank in Gloucester.. is that the right patch?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I think this is a really good topic and there are bound to be a number of people in a similar position..... If not to the extent you have!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

It doesn't sound ungrateful Amber. Some of the gifts we have received in the past I have passed on as raffle prizes at events to raise money for various charities. All the suggestions mentioned are very good ideas for the future.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Primary schools ask for donation for summer fair, Christmas fair and secret stall (children buy gifts for their parents, grandparents etc... for as little as 10p for some items) the money goes to the school fund for trips and concerts etc...
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:The Trussell trust mentioned before has a food bank in Gloucester.. is that the right patch?
Broadly speaking, yes. Thanks Herman. I need to lie low on this now before some of the donors suss me. Or indeed, turn into recipients, inadvertently...
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

mad? wrote:
marigold wrote:When you do decide who to give your goodies to, can you ask if they want five pairs of the most disgusting hand knitted slipper socks you could ever hope to see, sent from Australia by my sister.
And a mountain of cheesy 'coffee table' books which have already been dispatched to our downstairs cloakroom?
Could I add a box of rose-decorated coasters to the donation (MIL's latest contribution to what would be the Everest of coaster mountains by now if I didn't drop them off annually at the nearest charity shop)? I'm sure they're high quality as she left the price on (she usually does) - £1.50, if you're interested. Now I'm kicking myself for giving away '100 Uses For Vinegar ' as you could have had that, too. (I promise that was a genuine gift from my MIL.)

Amber, I don't think you sound ungrateful at all, just eminently sensible and thoughtful in finding a stack of edible treats a new home.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now