The EU is brainwashing our children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pushy Dad

The EU is brainwashing our children

Post by Pushy Dad »

I was walking pass a news stand this morning when I noticed the above headline on the front page of the Daily Mail. I felt compelled to buy the paper, just so I could find out what dastardly experiments were being carried out.

Apparently school children are being shown videos pointing out the advantages of being a member of the EU. I'm assuming that the videos don't make mention of all those member states that require bailing out to the tune of billions :D

I found it hard to be as outraged as the Mail writer. Sure, Brussels often go too far in its power grabs but most economists seem to agree that being IN, warts and all, is better than being OUT.

The Mail then went on to feature other examples of EU over reach like the story about the blocked deportation of an radical Muslim activist. Even when the EU did something right in another story it was a case of 'uncommon common sense'. With some people/newspapers you just can't win :roll:

It was kind of ironic, at least to me, that a newspaper that was sooo full of stories that had an anti-EU slant should be accusing the EU of 'brainwashing' British children when that was what they were doing to their readership.

Anyway, should we educate our children to be ethusiastic Europeans?
Amber

Re: The EU is brainwashing our children

Post by Amber »

Ah, the Daily Mail, that respected organ of neutrality and broad-minded free thinking.

Haven't seen the article so I am unqualified to comment beyond that. And it is fairly safe to say I won't see it, either.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I can help you there, Amber :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don’t even need to subscribe!
Amber

Post by Amber »

It's OK thanks Rob- if anyone spotted it in my search history I would never live it down.

PD - the fact that you spotted the irony probably means you shouldn't be reading that paper. Have you tried Private Eye?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Amber wrote:It's OK thanks Rob- if anyone spotted it in my search history I would never live it down.

PD - the fact that you spotted the irony probably means you shouldn't be reading that paper. Have you tried Private Eye?
Private Eye keeps me sane!
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Amber wrote:It's OK thanks Rob- if anyone spotted it in my search history I would never live it down.

I stopped reading Private Eye about 15 years ago because I found it too depressing. As you may have guessed from my anecdotes :-) I go through life experiencing Private Eye like moments. One day I lost the desire to read about what I was experiencing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Help me out here PD. You stopped reading Private Eye because you found it depressing.

And today you bought, as in you parted with money for, a copy of the Daily Mail?

I am struggling with this.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I've always thought the DM could get by with just one headline:

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!

(Apologies to Douglas Adams.) I imagine people read it for the same reason they watch horror films or read thrillers, but how on earth do they manage to step outside their front doors into the living nightmare that is the modern world?

Mike
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Unfortunately, some people believe what they read.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Amber wrote:Help me out here PD. You stopped reading Private Eye because you found it depressing.

And today you bought, as in you parted with money for, a copy of the Daily Mail?

I am struggling with this.
I popped into cafe for breakfast by myself and I needed reading material to keep me company. It was DM or some 'newspaper' full of celeb gossip. The phrase "Hobson's Choice" springs to mind.