Nausea ? Help

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
logic32

Nausea ? Help

Post by logic32 »

I was wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom about this.

My DS is in year 7 in his first year at 'big school'. He had a bit of a struggle settling in but by the end of the 1st half term was much happier.
However in the 2nd half up until Christmas he repeatedly had to have days off or was sent home due to feeling sick almost every week. I think about 10 days in total.

My initial reaction was to put it down to a virus, and then when it continued, stress or anxiety. On advice I gave him gaviscon tablets but they did nothing. He assures me he is very happy at school now. Had a good report and generally seems in good spirits.

Finally took him to the doctors before Christmas and he was given blood tests to check for diabetes, liver function etc, but thankfully all came back negative.

He was still experiencing the same thing over the holidays, which makes me think it's not school related.

The doctor wasn't particualrly interested because it's not an acute problem. But DS is still struggling in the mornings. He has breakfast, catches the bus, and then usually starts feeling nauseas during assembly. He says he is convinced he's going to be sick but tells himself he can't. He sometimes becomes quite distressed and rings me, but hasn't had to come home from school yet this term. Then about half an hour later has to urgently visit the little boys room. This probably happen 5 out of 7 days a week.

So I moved on to wondering if it's a mild food intollerance, despite the fact he is only affected in the morning. I gave him soya milk
instead of cows for 2 weeks, made no difference. He's had weetabix for the last 10 years most mornings, but removed wheat and gave him gluten free products, again no difference.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any clue to what else I can try? I'm at at loss as our family generally all have the constitutions of Ox's and have had no experience of allergies or the like. Many thanks.
pixiedust101

Re: Nausea ? Help

Post by pixiedust101 »

My 9-year suffers from gastroparsis (spelt wrong!). This is were the tummy doesn't empty quickly enough, so you are constantly full. She's on a regime of medication and she has to eat very small meals. I'm not saying this is what your lad has, but you could try giving him a small breakfast, then a snack at break, small lunch, snack to eat on way home?

It could be a food intolerance, but for any tests to be a true result, you can't elimate anything from his diet prior to having them.

Go back to his GP, and ask for a referral to a paedriatric gastro doctor, it's absolute horrible feeling sick all the time xx
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

pixiedust101 wrote:My 9-year suffers from gastroparsis (spelt wrong!). This is were the tummy doesn't empty quickly enough, so you are constantly full. She's on a regime of medication and she has to eat very small meals. I'm not saying this is what your lad has, but you could try giving him a small breakfast, then a snack at break, small lunch, snack to eat on way home?

It could be a food intolerance, but for any tests to be a true result, you can't elimate anything from his diet prior to having them.

Go back to his GP, and ask for a referral to a paedriatric gastro doctor, it's absolute horrible feeling sick all the time xx
I would suggest to go back and see another GP. My son suffers from migraines and the first GP said that he would probably grow out of them (not much help I thought).

I went back 6 months later and saw another GP. This was a completely different scenario. He now takes medication that reduces the migraines to headaches and is much more manageable. I think some GP's do not realise the upset that some problems can cause children. (I am saying "some" and not "all").
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thank you for the replies. Pixiedust I hope your DD is responding well to the new regime.

I'm a bit doctor phobic myself but I know you are probably right and certainly shouldn't let my child suffer just because I'm an idiot.

I suppose I was just hoping I could get to the bottom of it because I don't feel the doctor was that interested. He thought a virus was to blame despite the fact it had been going on 6 weeks.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Your poor DS logic32. I agree with the other posters that it would be a good idea to ask to see a Paediatrician. It must be awful for your son to feel this way particularly as he says he's happy at school. Are the school being sympathetic? One of my DSs had a similar problem. I spoke to his school and they were wonderful. All his teachers told him if he ever needed to leave the classroom he didn't need to ask, he should just get up and go. He was also given a card which he could just 'flash' at supply teachers and he could leave without any fuss. This certainly stopped him worrying and things improved greatly.

I feel sure you will get to the bottom of it and think that the suggestion to eat little and often is a very good idea.

Good luck with it all and best wishes to you and your son.
um

Post by um »

Please get his ears checked as nausea can often be caused by problems with the ear (which affects balance, etc).
In fact I was on anti-sickness meds for months following a nasty ear infection many years ago.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Probably of no help to you, but it is possible to have something like this which lasts for quite a long time and then passes. One of mine started feeling nauseous a few weeks before the October half term, two weeks later was really really unwell with vomiting for several days, then it took nearly three months to not feel ill after eating very small quantities of food. Never got to the bottom of it but it has passed. Lots of wind too ......... I decided swallowing air, crazy as it sounds, was partially responsible for some of it, certainly not all of it.

So I'd say get a second opinion (my GP was keen that I went to a different one in the practice after it had dragged on for a while but then I could tell things were improving bit by bit so I didn't bother) but bear in mind, and keep on telling your child that it will go away. Does it seem better, worse or the same after all this time? If it's a bit better keep on telling him that it is getting better bit by bit, but if your gut instinct tells you to find out more then do so. From time to time my Dc will still feel terrible straight after a meal; I'm afraid I just tell her to ignore it as whatever it is it will feel worse the more she thinks about it.

My own digestion has improved with age - I used to feel "sick" if I ate even one mouthful beyond being full, and couldn't eat fatty things. Now I could eat anything and grow to the size of a house I am sure. Maybe the former state of affairs was better.

Scarlett, where are you?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

How horrible for your son ...nausea is just the worst thing, isn't it ? :(

You mention his nausea, and having to visit the bathroom..is that to actually be sick ? and I take it it's just in the mornings, is he back to normal by lunchtime ?

We might need a bit more information. Does he have stomach ache too ? Diarrhoea ? Did it start off with a viral bug ? Does he have headaches too ? Anything chesty or sinusy ? Is he prone to being a bit sicky ? Has he lost weight ? How soon after waking does he feel sick ? Does it wake him from sleep ?

It's reassuring that his blood tests came back normal and I think it will probably sort itself out...sometimes these sort of things can take a couple of months but in the meantime you need ways to work round it ! If it was a bug he may now have a slight gastritis and so produce extra acid especially as it only seems to be in the morning...would he sip camomile tea ? I find that is a miracle when I'm feeling sick....may need to try different breakfasts....a light one perhaps. Maybe those breakfast biscuits he could nibble slowly ? Is it a rush in the morning ? Perhaps the gp could prescribe Ranitidine which would help with excess acid. You could ask for a second opinion at the drs if you wanted.

Another thing to consider are his hormones starting up ..may cause a bit of nausea and also are you sure he isn't a little bit stressed ? Sometimes it is shown through a physical manifestation and it might be the stress of starting secondary and the busy day, work load etc rather then stressed because you don't like it . I should think as well it might now be a bit of a vicious circle as he is expecting ( and dreading ) to feel sick every morning ...which might be why he felt the same during the hols. Does he get enough sleep ? He needs lots of hugs and reassurance ! Keep us updated ! :)

Mystery...can a girl not go through cold turkey without The Royal Summons ? :) I'm now hooked again !
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Many thanks for your comprehensive post Scarlett !

In answer to some of the questions :

No he's not actually sick, and yes, it is only ever in the mornings ( to the best of my knowledge he's not pregnant !). By lunchtime he's absolutely fine. He says his stomach feels like a washing machine when he's nauseous. Then he stops feeling sick but gets a pain at the bottom of his ribcage and needs to er ... evacuate. Sometimes it's diarrhoea sometimes normal.

Thinking about it he did start off with one 24hr bug that he was actually sick with just before half term. Yes initially it was always accompanied by a bad headache ( I was thinking migrane ? ) but that seems not to be the case anymore.

He doesn't feel sick when he wakes up or at breakfast or on the bus. Usually starts in first period or assembly which is 1 1/2 to 2 hours after breakfast.

No he very rarely has illnesss of any kind and eats like a horse ( always has done). This has not stopped which is another reason why I haven't taken it too seriously. Though it would probably take amputation of a limb ot two to put him off his food !

As for stress, He himself suggested that we get up 10 minutes earlier at 6.40 so that the morning is not a rush. Now after he's dressed and eaten he has 10 minutes to relax and read before I take him to the bus stop. ( I still pack his bag so he doesn't have to worry about forgetting anything ). But yes it has certainly been a sharp learning curve and still may well be some low level anxiety there as he loathes getting into trouble. I initially worried that it could be self perpetuating but my instinct says no.

Yes hormones are definately kicking in, a little over emotional for a normally laid back child and sadly a few spots too !

So as you can see, no it's not acute, but just enough to be unsettling.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sounds like an irritable bowel type scenario ? Might have been triggered off by a stomach bug..and perhaps exacerbated now by anxiety ? It's a tricky one..you don't want him to be thinking about it all the time just waiting ..i do think it will settle though.