14 and still counting

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blessedmum

14 and still counting

Post by blessedmum »

Did anyone watch the programme yesterday about the family with 14 children and mum was pregnant with no15 plus still planning for more.

Whilst I cannot even imagine having that much and barely coping with my two; it was refreshing to see a family with that many children that did not resort to not working but sponging off from the state. The couple owned their own bakery where both partners work and husband works even on Sundays.

Their holiday was definitely no holiday for the parents as it seemed they spent most of their time making sure everyone was in sight.

If you havent seen it; its well worth seeing.
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: 14 and still counting

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I too get stressed with only two. :oops:

I didn't see this show but if you liked this, you might also like 19 kids and counting about the American Duggar family, who make it all look so easy!
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;D
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I am definitely not tempted to have anymore.

I currently have a timetable of activities and appts on my kitchen wall and can just about remember where we need to be when.

I thought it was slightly selfish though as there was no way they could spend quality time with all 14. There was another couple with 9 and mum was expecting twins; she also chose to home school the kids. it looked liked a disaster and her oldest daughter said they are only taught what mum knows as mum herself did not even complete her GCSES :shock:
I was surprised the local authority and social services will allow that.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Goodness me. You'd thinking having that number of children home in the school holidays would be a good enough contraceptive, let alone everyday of the year.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

mystery wrote:Goodness me. You'd thinking having that number of children home in the school holidays would be a good enough contraceptive, let alone everyday of the year.
This post made me laugh after a difficult morning at work! :lol:
um

Post by um »

No - I have 'only' 5 and am always fascinated by how people with large families manage - there are times when I question my sanity!

Where was it? BBC?
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

it was on channel4 and its a series.
you can watch it using this link http://www.channel4.com/programmes/15-k ... unting/4od" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly i struggle with two. Am i just lazy or what?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

blessedmum wrote:Honestly i struggle with two. Am i just lazy or what?
No. it's hard! I have a 10yo and a 4yo, between Rugby, Ballet, Gymnastics, Tennis and prep my p/t job and uni (currently have exams) along with a husband who's work finishes when he comes home I barely have the energy to crawl into bed of a night! There have been weeks that I have been jittering all day because of the high amounts of Red Bull and coffee consumed to get me through a day! Sleep is for the weak!

You are right though, it was a refreshing watch, I exptected to see council estate spongers living in messy crowded houses :oops:
Vic x
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Fluffyd,

makes me feel am not alone. People bemoan that i let the kids go to music and drama sch from 9am-3pm on saturday. I have suggested to the kids to reduce their classes so they finish at 12pm but they absolutely love going and you dont have to wake them up early on sat unlike the rest of the week for school.
I dont feel any guilt anymore as the hours between those times seem to be the only decent time i get to my self; notwithstanding having to get up early to drop them; except I have any child at home (the better half) who wants attention but i just ignore during those hours so i can get some rest.
aargh

Post by aargh »

blessedmum wrote:I thought it was slightly selfish though as there was no way they could spend quality time with all 14. There was another couple with 9 and mum was expecting twins; she also chose to home school the kids. it looked liked a disaster and her oldest daughter said they are only taught what mum knows as mum herself did not even complete her GCSES
I agree. That supposed lesson had them all looking bored (though they may have been filming it a dozen times). It did not cater for the different ages or needs in any way.
She gave the school doing "s e x ed for the little ones" as a reason to keep them out of school, when all she need do is tell school to keep them out of s e x ed - which all parents are entitled to do.

When the new arrivals came you could see that the youngest boy in the smaller family was distraught and one of the littlest girls in the larger family clearly said "I don't want the new baby." Mother laughs "Of course you do!"

Other examples of possible selfishness:

The father of one of the families said "I don't see any reason to stop."
World's resources if everyone had this many children? There are already serious problems arising from over population.

He also said he thought having more was "worth the risk" but it is not himself he's risking (unless he finds himself left with all those children to look after alone).

Mother spending £500 because she is addicted to prams then not being able to furnish the DCs' rooms?

Mostly I was slightly disturbed by the Mother of the larger family - using having children as a way of providing herself with an ongoing supply of unconditional love, in compensation for her own Mother having given her up for adoption.