Books for Boys Similar to Skullduggery by Derek Landy

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
munch

Books for Boys Similar to Skullduggery by Derek Landy

Post by munch »

Can anyone help with this? DS is an avid non fiction/fussy fiction reader.
He has recently gone through the entire Derek Landy Skullduggery collection in a matter of a fortnight and loved them. These were the very books he told me was not 'his kind of book' when I suggested them some time back. Then he got one for Christmas last year- it sat there unopened virtually all year until he picked it up recently and that was it. He had to every single book in the series and promptly read them each within 3 nights.
So we are back to the problem of no nooks that are 'his kind'.
He loves horror, blood, gore, mystery, modern wizardry and is a huge fan of the Goosebumps books by R.L.Stein.
Can anybody recommend anything? He is 11 but reads well above this age.
Thank you :)
Josa

Re: Books for Boys Similar to Skullduggery by Derek Landy

Post by Josa »

Hi munch, ds is also an avid reader and loves horror/mystery/spies kind of books. He has read all the Derek Landy collections and has also read the Charlie Higson series: The fear, The enemy and The Dead. All blood, horror and gore so he'll definitely enjoy these.

He might also enjoy books by Michael Grant if he's in to spies and all..... From the top of my head I think there are 4 in the series: Gone, hunger, Lies and Plague.
Hope this helps
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks Josa, I will definitely look into these tonight. How old is your DS?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

DS2 says that the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage were probably his next stop after Skulduggery Pleasant.

I have to say that the first couple of books in the series were great, but I think they fell off a bit after that. The later books were slow to make it to Audio CD, and that says a little bit about them.

I will still read Book 7 in paperback though. :oops:
tense

Post by tense »

How about the Cherub books by Robert Muchamore?
munch

Post by munch »

Thank you SA and tense-will add those to my list :D
moved

Post by moved »

Sabriel trilogy by Garth Nix. Much better than any of his other books in both DC' opinions.
Josa

Post by Josa »

munch wrote:Thanks Josa, I will definitely look into these tonight. How old is your DS?
Hi Munch, Ds is 12, will also second the cherub series by Robert Muchamore ds thoroughly enjoyed these.
munch

Post by munch »

Thank you all.
MmeH

Post by MmeH »

Both my DC also love Skullduggery and have to have each new one as soon as it is published. They also like the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan, definitely horror and gore. DS, who's just turned 13, also raved about Department 19 by Will Hill which seems to be the 1st in a new series, sort of action vampires for boys :D . He is also another Robert Muchamore addict and was delighted when the author visited his school recently. There is a Cherub prequel series called Henderson's boys which is set in the war which he really likes.