Just wondering.......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KS10

Re: Just wondering.......

Post by KS10 »

I can see why people would keep quiet though. I'm not talking about the competitive parents, but the ones who insist that a child should go to the nearest comp, even if it is dreadful. One of my friends believes this and had a go at me about not putting our local schools first. Sometimes, you just want an easy life so you say nothing. I find this tactic works well at work too, that is, saying nothing for an easy life. :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

KS10 I think you are shrewd! Sometimes silence speaks volumes! :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I find that too KS10 .... some of the parents whose children were automatically signed up for the local school did assume I was being a bit sniffy and I had to be really careful with what I said when they asked me why I wasn't just sending my children there. It just feels awkward all around from whatever direction you are facing... :?

Edited to add...KS10..your post about wanting an easy life sounds like something a man would write ! You're female though, aren't you ?!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I agree with you both. Just because two of my DSs sat the 11+ didn't mean I looked down on the local comps or felt we were in some way superior. Unfortunately, some people don't seem to see things that way. :(
KS10

Post by KS10 »

What quick responses! Fran, you are as supportive as ever, and always have a kind word for everyone. And, scarlett, you know I think you're hilarious.

I am now feeling very wise and very smug. No doubt my boss will post on here in the next 5 minutes to tell me I've been sussed.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I used to feel I should play down my son's capabilities and I noticed when anyone asked how he was getting on and I would reply that we would just have to see ..I did notice quite a few liked to jump on the bandwagon of delightfully telling me that he would only struggle at Grammar, you know :roll:

It's a different story this time round, now everyone knows DS1 made it they have just assumed it goes without saying that DS2 will too and it feels a lot less awkward. Bizarrely, I'm having more problems with random neighbours who seem amazed that DS2 is taking his 11 plus and comment " Oh, but he's not like his brother ! " I always reply..." Good ! because wouldn't that be boring. " :P

P.S You are a wise owl too, KS10. :D
KS10

Post by KS10 »

To tackle the crossed posts (dreadful pun most definitely intended)...

Scarlett, yes I am female, just a lazy one - can't drive, can't swim and opted for DS's school because of its sibling policy. Just noticed the 'wise owl' bit and no 'old'. :D

Fran, I've decided that other people's opinions don't matter when I know I'm right, which is most of the time. Oh dear, I do sound like a man, don't I?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

scarlett wrote:Bizarrely, I'm having more problems with random neighbours who seem amazed that DS2 is taking his 11 plus and comment " Oh, but he's not like his brother ! " I always reply..." Good ! because wouldn't that be boring. "
How dare they say such things! I always say their differences make it easier to love them all the same.
KS10 wrote:Fran, I've decided that other people's opinions don't matter when I know I'm right, which is most of the time. Oh dear, I do sound like a man, don't I?
:lol: Quite right too!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Actually, KS10..you're sounding suspiously like my dear husband..who I thought was in the shower..but I might have to check. :shock: That would be a result for Fluffy..one of us finding our spouse was in fact another forum member !

Fran...I don't know what it is about me, but I often find people think they can say what they like to me and I won't mind. :cry:
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

scarlett wrote: That would be a result for Fluffy..one of us finding our spouse was in fact another forum member !
That would be hilarious, though maybe not if they were both stressing as they thought that the others DC was in front of them in the reserve queue after allocation day. :lol:
Vic x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now