All primary pupils should be enriched not just G&T?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: All primary pupils should be enriched not just G&T?

Post by mystery »

I don't know why. At my school one child last year was receiving extra stretch - supposedly the school was buying extra books of some sort for him, and the parent was allowed to talk to the teacher and see the child's exercise books for 15 mins every month. This was at the point in time I was banned from seeing my child's work. This mother is very loud and insistent, and has governing body connections ( :wink: ). Child was definitely bright, but of course if every child in the class had the same treatment they would also have moved on further than otherwise. The teacher would not have time for that.

I don't know the answers to you original post Cranleigh. It doesn't seem fair. I just suppose it's part of the theory of human capital, so it's important as a country and economy to prize and push on with the children who you think are the most able (even if the judgement is wrong for some of them).

I just know our children are lucky to have us, and it's best not to get sidetracked into doing nothing if you think something is needed, as this puts your child back in the position of the sizeable group who do not have help, support, or whatever you like to call it, from home.
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Thanks for thoughts.
Last edited by Cranleigh on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Update to my DD's middle table purgatory...

Miracle of miracles! DD, who has languished in the middle maths group for years has now been given a place at the top table. Not only that, but while she was previously in a middle group in a class of 30ish pupils, she is now in the top table of both classes combined (the classes are mixed and setted for maths in Y6). She feels really encouraged by this and is enjoying school maths much more as a result. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now