Uniforms

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Proud Mum

Post by Proud Mum »

My sons Blazer was £102!!! That is in year 7 and will get dearer as he grows. I spent £700 on school uniform etc. and thats without the cricket and hockey stuff yet to buy! He goes to a Grammar school.

I do feel sorry for those really strapped for cash!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How can £102 be justified!!

Our child is at a Grammar - blazer was £27 with badge - or you could sew badge onto a blazer bought elsewhere - we decided price difference wasn't worth the sewing time!!
Proud Mum

Post by Proud Mum »

I was very shocked! I new it was expensive but I did not expect that much! His blaser comes with ribon sewn around the edges which is in his house colours its also made from a different material than normal so no chance of a cheaper option!
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

When I went to school the house colours were on the badge, which was sewn onto a bog standard blazer...

On a totally unrelated topic... my ex school which used to have 4 form entry now has 3.. and the house they chose to drop was mine :-(
Proud Mum

Post by Proud Mum »

Ahhhh what a shame.... Its funny you do always get attached with your house. I remember being so competitve when I was at scholl in the interhouse competitions. I was very lucky to be in the house that always won the house cup.

My son house is in the lead at his school so I am hoping he is as lucky as me! (and obviously help build up the points!)

Post by Guest »

This from the consultation document:

1.6 Home to school travel

Schools should encourage children to walk and cycle to school and should consider this when determining the design and style of uniform. School uniforms are often quite dark making it difficult for children to be seen by drivers especially during the winter months. School governors should consider the benefits of including light colours and/or reflective materials as part of their school uniform policy to ensure that children are able to walk and cycle safely throughout the year.

This has always been my objection to the requirement for children to wear a 'dark' coat....

Post by Guest »

Proud Mum wrote:My sons Blazer was £102!!! That is in year 7 and will get dearer as he grows. I spent £700 on school uniform etc. and thats without the cricket and hockey stuff yet to buy! He goes to a Grammar school.

That is really outrageous - how can anyone on an average income possibly afford to pay that? The kids must be an obvious target for local resentment as well, going round dressed like that!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Our local Grammar have a PTA who hold 2nd hand uniform sales.

Sounds like a good idea. A blazer costs about £70 otherwise. :shock:

BW

Post by Guest »

Any one with a daughter going to KE Handsworth next September. You can get a lot of the uniform more cheaply from Gogna who supply the sportswear, than from the school shop. Gogna actually supply the school shop. You need school shop for blazer, jumper and tie. Rest you can get from Gogna, including kilt.
guest40

Post by guest40 »

Proud Mum wrote:My sons Blazer was £102!!! That is in year 7 and will get dearer as he grows. I spent £700 on school uniform etc. and thats without the cricket and hockey stuff yet to buy! He goes to a Grammar school.

I thought grammar schools were meant to be a means for poorer children to have a chance in life. What sort of message does that send out to those who really are strapped for cash? What a shame if they can't afford it and the child gets to lose out. Or is that a school's intention - to attract the 'right' sort of pupil?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now