Facebook, Google + and Twitter Buttons

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: Facebook, Google + and Twitter Buttons

Post by doodles »

Not sure about this one. I do "do" facebook but I wouldn't want my posts here popping up there :shock:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I sympathise with the need to 'publicise' but I prefer the anonymity of our posts on this site, without the entire Facebook/ Twitter world knowing how I spend my (whole) days :oops: :roll: :lol:

I think those serious about the 11+ process would, have and do find this site anyway. :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hi Been lurking for a while, but finally a post I cannot resist answering.

If what is suggested would make individual threads show up in Google searches, I think it would be a very bad idea.

This happens (or used to happen) with Mumsnet threads and I don't think that contributors realise it. About five years ago I was looking to see if there was a way to look for an au pair on the internet and save the wopping agency fee, so I searched for "au pair" and a specific nationality. About the first or second hit on Google was a discussion on Mumsnet with some really strong views about national characteristics. I felt that it was verging on racist and some of the later posters to the thread thought so too. I'm sure the posters thought they were having a private chat and would have been mortified to realise that, even under a chatroom name, their opinions were being shared with the world.

It made me feel a bit differently about the whole idea of discussion threads - perhaps why I haven't joined in until now :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I won't ever join Facebook; there are too many concerns about its privacy policy.

Any link with it is a negative imho.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:Any link with it is a negative imho.
:shock: I agree with G55!
If I were a teacher or governor I would not post here if I thought the posts might be available to a global community. I know we have no control over who we are posting 'to' here, but I think the forum benefits from the sense that in the majority of cases by definition of having found it in the first place , posters are sincere in their comments and open in their advice and have a genuine interest in the posts.
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am really surprised but pleased that I am not the only one who feels like this :D
There is the issue of our children's identities too- we need to ensure they remain anonymous - sometimes a fair amount of personal detail goes into posts which might help to identify individual children, which I am sure none of us would want.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I Would also feel uncomfortable with this and would be reluctant to post in the future.
programmer

Post by programmer »

Interesting opinions. I was probably misunderstood. My fault really, I should be more clear.

We will never do any automatic posting of your posts to facebook. To be honest it is more work and am a lazy programmer. It took me 7 years to fix this forum to not crash on March 1st. :lol:

To be honest, I deleted my facebook account. It is not for me personally. But I came across this post:

So the suggestion of adding a facebook Like button for each topic came up. People may want to click on the Like button and the link to the topic gets posted on their facebook page. This is totally voluntary and not and never will be automatic.

But I understand that it may not be necessary and probably not one for this forum.

The facebook button at the top is to like Eleven Plus Exams facebook page, which is pretty much a news feed for people who follow.

I hope it clears the confusion. Thanks.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

programmer wrote:ConcernedDad wrote:
Thanks for sharing Zeinab. Wish this forum also had a Like button aka facebook.

So the suggestion of adding a facebook Like button for each topic came up. People may want to click on the Like button and the link to the topic gets posted on their facebook page. This is totally voluntary and not and never will be automatic.
I think the original poster meant that it would be good to be able to "like" comments on EPE, but I don't think he meant for there to be a link to FB.

I clicked the FB button at the top of the page and there are some quite interesting articles on the EPE FB page. Are these available anywhere on the EPE website - would prefer to read them here than via FB for the potential loss of anonymity issue already cited.
poppit

Post by poppit »

I think the original poster meant that it would be good to be able to "like" comments on EPE, but I don't think he meant for there to be a link to FB.
That was my take on it too, just something within the EPE website itself.

I too would not be at all comfortable with the posts on here going on to Facebook etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now