Would it be reasonable to ask a High School...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sportsmum

Re: Would it be reasonable to ask a High School...

Post by Sportsmum »

It is interesting to note the number of prep schools that have refused to allow their pupils to do SATS as they have to spend time teaching them to give simple answers as opposed to the full answers expected of them by their future Indies.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sportsmum wrote:It is interesting to note the number of prep schools that have refused to allow their pupils to do SATS as they have to spend time teaching them to give simple answers as opposed to the full answers expected of them by their future Indies.
When my eldest DD did the SATs she only just scraped a Level 4 in some of her practice comprehension papers, because she was convinced that they were full of trick questions trying to catch her out! :roll:

Once she'd been persuaded that it really was that straightforward, she focused her creativity on the writing exercise (which, I understand, is no longer tested. :? )
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

In most non grammar areas, children are set from the start based on SATS results, there's nothing else there that is common to most children starting secondary school.

And just for a second - why is it fair that Bucks children have a second crack at the whip and others don't ? In my view that's just another example of all that is wrong with the education system in this country. Not that I am sad for the Bucks children or would wish they didn't have the chance, but for the rest of us that don't is't not fair.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Looking at the responses on the Kent forum Katel, re Knole Academy and their eagerness to show themselves to parents as a school which also caters well for bright pupils, I'm sure your school in question wouldn't mind you asking how they will cater for your son .I'm sure PPMum might be able to help you out, as she was in the same position last year and I'm sure asked her DD school similar questions ??

You might not need to worry anyway about all this...you still have your appeal...but looking at the cohort of year 6 children at my DC school ( this year I listened to read , helped with simple maths etc when they were in year 4/5 and I know are level 5 at either maths or literacy ..some at both ) many of them are bright and either missed the 11 plus by a pip squeak or their parents thought they just wouldn't make it.Some of these I think may have , but of course there are other things which need to be taken into consideration. These children are articulate, bright and hard working and have made me feel better about my DS2 who may be joining them next year if he doesn't pass the 11 plus . There will be other children similar to your son , there really isn't 2 camps..11 plus passees and then the dimmies .My neighbours son is just off to a grammar for his A levels whereas his younger brother who is at grammar is struggling and not due to do so well at his GCSes.

I know you know all this Katel, and I wish you luck and hope you can find peace and settle with whatever the decision turns out to be.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Looking for help wrote:In most non grammar areas, children are set from the start based on SATS results, there's nothing else there that is common to most children starting secondary school.

And just for a second - why is it fair that Bucks children have a second crack at the whip and others don't ? In my view that's just another example of all that is wrong with the education system in this country. Not that I am sad for the Bucks children or would wish they didn't have the chance, but for the rest of us that don't is't not fair.
It's fair for the Bucks children. And surely you wouldn't want their fair practice to cease so that unfairness could be applied evenly? :?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scarlett wrote:I'm sure PPMum might be able to help you out, as she was in the same position last year and I'm sure asked her DD school similar questions ??
Hi, Katel - I've been to-ing and fro-ing about getting in touch. I didn't want to distract you from your appeal but yes, I was in exactly your position this time last year and I feel for your family SO MUCH :(
Anyway - it's not all bad and I will get back to you. Just got to go and collect child no.2 from school.
Watch this space. :wink:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Caroline1852 wrote:
It's fair for the Bucks children. And surely you wouldn't want their fair practice to cease so that unfairness could be applied evenly? :?
That is what I said :lol:

Looking for help wrote: Not that I am sad for the Bucks children or would wish they didn't have the chance, but for the rest of us that don't is't not fair.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Looking for help wrote:
Caroline1852 wrote:
That is what I said :lol:

Looking for help wrote: Not that I am sad for the Bucks children or would wish they didn't have the chance, but for the rest of us that don't is't not fair.
:lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Well said LFH I think this system should be extended to cover the rest of the country! I'm very jealous Rob! :lol:

Well said too scarlet! My eldest son isn't at grammar Katel. Many of the pupils at his school are very bright and just as scarlet said, they either just missed out on getting into grammar or didn't bother to sit it because they preferred the idea of going to the school they are now at. All of his friends are very hard working and have received offers from very good unis. Grammar isn't the be all and end all.

I know of two friends whose sons went to grammar who attained level 4s in their maths. I know this because they were very worried at the time. They are also doing extremely well and are working towards their A levels.

Good luck Katel. I hope the school puts your mind at rest and I will keep everything crossed for you with regard to the appeal!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Looking for help wrote:In most non grammar areas, children are set from the start based on SATS results, there's nothing else there that is common to most children starting secondary school.
In my experience, and from discussions on this website before, I would say it is very unusual for children to be set on intake into secondary school, using any criterion. At the 2 secondary schools of my recent experience the SATs results were/are 'filed'. At my son's GS they are used to set the first lot of targets. I have never heard of setting been done before the first half term...usually later. And I have also never heard of it not being fluid.