Would you involve the police?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samlet

Would you involve the police?

Post by Samlet »

Yesterday my Y7 DS was attacked by another boy when walking home. He was punched in the side of the head and hit the other side of his head on a projecting brick from a (stupidly) decorated brick wall. I think he was amazingly lucky to escape with only egg-sized lumps on his head.

I have reported this to the school along with the name of the attacker and witnesses and the background (temper from the attacker that one of the other boy's gran would not give him a lift home but would give my DS a lift as she won't offer a lift until she has agreed it with parents).

I am shocked by the extent of aggression shown by this boy and very keen that he learns at this point that this behaviour is totally unacceptable. If my DS had been more seriously injured, or god forbid, had died, this boy would probably have ended up in youth detention.

My dilemma is that so far the school's response has been very neutral. It may be that this will change once they investigate, but I'm wondering if I should take this further if the school wants to play it down. I don't want to ruin this child's life, but I do want him to learn never to do this again.

What would you do?
scary mum

Re: Would you involve the police?

Post by scary mum »

I would insist on the school dealing with it immediately, and if no joy, reluctantly involve the police. This is completely unaccepatble and the school should act as soon as they have acertained the facts.
scary mum
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

If it happened out of school then it is a police matter but tread carefully as the consequences may be worse for your son if they are called in.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I would contact the school this afternoon to see what has been done and if you aren't satisfied with the way they have dealt with it then contact the Police.

I agree with you, it is completely unacceptable and the boy needs to learn this.

I hope your DS is OK.

Good luck.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Yes, I would go to the police. Take the school uniforms out of the scenario and you can see it for what it is. Common assault. The assailant probably has a raft of problems the school is aware of, and your son's best interests are competing with his. I wouldn't give the school the opportunity to try and manage this alone. Its agenda could be different from yours.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

I agree - go to the police.
A colleague at work has issues with his son (lives with his mother, father is allowed very little access) and the school / social services are always coming up with some excuse not to deal with things decisively, he is glad when an outside agency get involved as it forces the issue on the school and social services.
The more information about a person the better, or if no underlying issues it may just be the wake up call he needs ...
The police are very sensitive to these situations and usually just say they have received a 'compliant' - if there are witnesses, no one will know who actually made the complaint.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I agree with previous posts- yes to going to the police.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Personally I would not go to the Police at this stage but would send a letter- as an email attachment for speed, but as a letter not just an email iykwim, to both the Head Teacher and, importantly, the Chair of Governors. In this I would detail everything that happened, the fact that it has been reported to the school and the fact that unless you receive a satisfactory response by the end of this week you will be reporting the matter to the Police. That way the school has chance to think about it, and you leave the door open for stronger action should you deem it necessary.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Go to the police. It happened out of school so is not a school issue. It is assault. Schools cannot really do much to prevent these events.

I called the police when 2 boys were fighting in the street and throwing stones at each other. The stones damaged my car and hurt another child. These were large lumps of cobble, someone could have been killed.
The Police arriving was just the shock they needed to realise how serious it was.

The police are very good at judging their approach, gearing things to the particular incident. When I called they asked did I want to press charges or did I just want the boys to realise how dangerous they were being? I chose the latter and their parents got a shock too with the wrath of the hurt child's parents and the bill for my bumper. There were no reprisals on me.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

If I were in this position I would speak with the school first and then go to the police if I didn't think the situation had been handled appropriately. It may well be that the school advise you to contact the police anyway.

It is assault and, if this involved two adults instead, I am sure it would be treated this way.

I understand what WFG is saying with regard to consequences but people like this must be held accountable otherwise something worse may happen another time and/or to somebody else.