fatbananas

Re: Home ed

Post by fatbananas »

wow! I'm vv jealous. Congratulations :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Fantastic news, Mystery. Tell us how you did it?!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Before you get too excited, it is just for this term, one day a week. I wrote a nice letter saying please! It could of course be a complete disaster if DD will not do anything for me at home, in which case the experiment will promptly end.

Anyone got any advice on making flexi-schooling work?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Perhaps by telling DD that she'll only have to put up with Dmummy for one term and then she can return to the fold of her friends?! :wink:

I think my DC would like it if they could do some learning with me but also do some very-unschool stuff (which could also actually be learning too :twisted: , like matinees at the theatre to see Mathilda or a museum, or whatever). I think that would really incentivise the DC and would also stop it becoming too intense for everyone. Even enjoyable!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That's very good news indeed . You will need to have a think about the reasons why you wanted to have DD at home for this day i.e maths/literacy ? and then start planning. Not sure how your other DD will take it if you use the day to take her sister off on jollies ! Does she mind ? ( the one at home and the one at school ! )
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

scarlett wrote: Not sure how your other DD will take it if you use the day to take her sister off on jollies ! Does she mind ? ( the one at home and the one at school ! )
That's a good question, Scarlett!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

In fairness to Mystery, it was me who suggested they did 'jollies'; she may have nothing of the sort in mind! I'd forgotten she had another DC to consider.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Mystery, I don't want to put a spanner in the works but I really don't think you can base the experience on one day a week. I suspect, but hope I'm wrong, that you will have difficulties getting your daughter to comply with you on the one day she is off school. She will see it as a holiday once a week and may fight with you over this. I'm not sure if she is computer obsessed but if so I'd suggest banning them on that day. When my boys are at home it's all they think about but the moment they know they are not getting them until 6pm or the weekend, then they tend to be much more compliant and interested in learning new things.

Ideally a period of de-schooling would be best and then start work but I don't think it works on one day a week. What do you plan to do with her on the days she's off?

But, many congrats for getting the permission as I know many would love the option of flexi-schooling. :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

But, many congrats for getting the permission as I know many would love the option of flexi-schooling.
Whilst I am not intending to criticize Mystery's decision as for the school to agree there must be a good reason for the request, please remember that for teachers to do their job properly they do need full attendance from pupils.

Part time might be great for parents who only have to plan for one child but teachers do not have that luxury. Part time schooling only really works if it is the whole class. This is the reason why children with high absences are being targetted. They are missing out on their education. It is very difficult for teachers to fill the gaps if they are not there. It also has an effect on the rest of the class when children get behind because they are constantly missing lessons and the teacher has to try and help them catch up.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I totally understand why schools would be against flexi-schooling as it sets a precedent and can cause all sorts of complications.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now