Olympic Torch

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stevew61

Re: Olympic Torch

Post by stevew61 »

scarlett wrote:P.S Hope I'm still allowed on this thread Steve. I am trying my hardest. :)
You are always more than welcome. Just please play nicely. :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

scarlett wrote: We all do like a British moan, don't we ? Once we start winning those gold medals I'm sure we're all be a lot more positive about the whole thing. ( Well, here's hoping ) .
We're still struggling to understand who the heck is going to take my volunteer son to the O2 on his days at 5 30 in the morning :D Once we've got that sorted, we will maybe be a bit more excited about the whole thing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Looking for help wrote:We're still struggling to understand who the heck is going to take my volunteer son to the O2 on his days at 5 30 in the morning :D Once we've got that sorted, we will maybe be a bit more excited about the whole thing.
Well let's hope he isn't going to rely on public transport. All the tube stations are full of grim warnings that they will be unable to cope with the demand and using little cartoons with people in walking boots by means of helpful suggestion. And a friend tells me staff at overground stations have been handing out walking maps, such is their confidence in the capacity of the system.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Even as a sports journalist I have to say I’m not convinced that the torch procession should be taking precedence over children’s exams and other aspects of daily life. Perhaps it’s their attempt to distract us all from what a total shambles the ticketing operation has been. :lol:

Feeling a bit uninspired by the whole thing right now, but as I managed to get niece and nephew jobs at the Games that may change in due course…
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:Even as a sports journalist I have to say I’m not convinced that the torch procession should be taking precedence over children’s exams and other aspects of daily life. Perhaps it’s their attempt to distract us all from what a total shambles the ticketing operation has been. :lol:

Feeling a bit uninspired by the whole thing right now, but as I managed to get niece and nephew jobs at the Games that may change in due course…
Unless they expect you to provide the 5am transport as well as the job, Rob.
Poetry too- it's all here. :D

And there was I thinking the Olympic spirit of fairness and equity extended to the employment bit too...but no, it's all nepotism and eBay. :?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Looking for help wrote:We're still struggling to understand who the heck is going to take my volunteer son to the O2 on his days at 5 30 in the morning :D Once we've got that sorted, we will maybe be a bit more excited about the whole thing.
Surely you are going to offer to drive him in every morning and pick him up each night. :shock: :lol:

Have you got a family member or good friend who lives a bit nearer who wouldn't mind putting him up. Let's face it all he will need is a bed.

Good luck with it.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

scarlett wrote:I might even get out my Misha 1980 mascot badge from the Moscow olympics which I wore religiously every day for 6 months when I was 7. :)
How did I miss your post Scarlett? Now don't worry if you have misplaced your Misha badge, I believe you can buy them on ebay! :wink: :lol:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

No, you have to be 18 to work at the Games so I reckon they are old enough to arrange that for themselves. However, they might be staying with us as we’re within daily reach of Hyde Park and their parents aren’t.

And yes, I’ve had railway staff handing out maps showing walking routes, dozens of them. Here’s an idea, how about they spend the money on putting on more trains instead. Bah, humbug :D

By the way Scarlett, some of those badges are worth money. There are collectors who try to get a complete set, ie every day, from every Olympics. The rare ones are quite valuable…
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Rob Clark wrote:And yes, I’ve had railway staff handing out maps showing walking routes, dozens of them. Here’s an idea, how about they spend the money on putting on more trains instead. Bah, humbug :D
Totally agree. :roll: We need you on the Olympic Committee! :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Rob Clark wrote: By the way Scarlett, some of those badges are worth money. There are collectors who try to get a complete set, ie every day, from every Olympics. The rare ones are quite valuable…

No, you can't have it Rob. I might start obsessively wearing it again or do you think someone will rip it from my lapel :shock: