Olympic Torch

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: Olympic Torch

Post by scary mum »

I hear some of the torches are now on e bay for huge sums of money. It seems sad to me that people should be so cynical as to do this withn a day or so of being a torch bearer.
scary mum
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Leaving aside my own view of the torch relay as mawkish at best and asinine at worst its very worrying that the whole idea of this relay was designed by Hitler as a n*a* z* i propaganda tool.
tense

Post by tense »

Scary mum

I've just had a quick look on ebay & can't believe what people are asking for the torches - & others are bidding :shock:

But the oddest thing is the auction for a photo of the torch (yes, a photo!!). The current bid is for over £1,200.
Amber

Post by Amber »

tense wrote:I've just had a quick look on ebay & can't believe what people are asking for the torches - & others are bidding :shock:
But the oddest thing is the auction for a photo of the torch (yes, a photo!!). The current bid is for over £1,200.
Sort of puts paid to the idea of torch bearers being fine upstanding citizens offering a shining example to the rest of us, does it not?
magwich2 wrote:Leaving aside my own view of the torch relay as mawkish at best and asinine at worst its very worrying that the whole idea of this relay was designed by Hitler as a n*a* z* i propaganda tool.
Didn't know that, but share your view. Have lost patience with it all now...we are going to be massively inconvenienced by road closures for 2 days...and some children who have exams on Thursday morning have got to go to school at 715 as the roads will be closed after that. I just drove down one road where they were having a practice road closure! Not that Cheltenham needs that as we seem to do quite well at shutting roads without the added attraction of a flame in a toilet roll. I shudder to think of the loss of productivity, as well as things like cancelled operations at hospitals. Talk about OTT - whatever happened to moderation? Told my lot we have a torch in the garage if they want to look at one.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Told my lot we have a torch in the garage if they want to look at one.
:lol:

We're going to make one out of a cardboard tube and tissue paper. How much do you think it might fetch on ebay?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Loads, but make sure they don't have your home address as you'll face a massive compo claim when the purchaser burns his hand.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

magwich2 wrote:Leaving aside my own view of the torch relay as mawkish at best and asinine at worst its very worrying that the whole idea of this relay was designed by Hitler as a n*a* z* i propaganda tool.
Looks like most people got over that in 1948. :D
The 1948 Summer Olympics torch relay was run 17–29 July 1948, prior to the 1948 Summer Olympics, held in London, United Kingdom. The relay was nicknamed the "relay of peace".[...........................

Marquess of Exeter, and the rest of the organising committee for the 1948 Games agreed to continue the tradition begun by the previous games, and run a torch relay for a second time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Summe ... orch_relay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Loads, but make sure they don't have your home address as you'll face a massive compo claim when the purchaser burns his hand.
:lol:

I was so full of excitement about the whole Olympics thing - watching the torch, tickets for the Athletics.. I feel quite disheartened now though. Why does everything have to be reduced to how much money can be made?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

DenDe wrote:We're going to make one out of a cardboard tube and tissue paper. How much do you think it might fetch on ebay?
:lol: :lol:

I must say I don't think it's such a bad thing if these people sell their torches on ebay. I don't know anything about them or about their circumstances. Maybe a bit of spare cash may come in handy in some of their cases. They aren't breaking the law. It doesn't make them bad people.

I must say DenDe I prefer the sound of your home made ones anyway! :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, you're so very kind, Fran..trust you to see the good in everyone :)

We all do like a British moan, don't we ? Once we start winning those gold medals I'm sure we're all be a lot more positive about the whole thing. ( Well, here's hoping ) .I might even get out my Misha 1980 mascot badge from the Moscow olympics which I wore religiously every day for 6 months when I was 7. :)

P.S Hope I'm still allowed on this thread Steve. I am trying my hardest. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now