Music lessons

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
modernista

Re: Music lessons

Post by modernista »

Thanks WFG, fellow double reeder mum! I believe she will take longer for Grade 5 as she will do theory for the first time and she seems to be happier playing by ear. In Grade 4, her sight reading was the weakest. I think you are right about the Saturday schools, I am not in a tearing hurry but am concerned about a possible lack of a group orchestra type situation in her new school and her losing interest as result of that.
I was hoping as she plays the oboe the entry requirements may be lower. Do you know if perhaps the Thames Youth Orchestra have lower entry requirements? Perhaps I need to check with her teacher. Or maybe I should just wait to see hoe senior school goes.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

TYO require grade 7/8 for wind. Grade 7 is a massive leap from grade 5, unlike some of the gaps between the lower grades. There should be plenty in the area though.

Good luck. :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd's did recorder and loved it. They did Grade Two and Grade Four ABRSM exams and did a lot of weekend courses where they got to play a whole range of recorders. They learn all their instruments in school. I have all the contact with the teachers that I could wish for and we work as a team. I consider it to be a huge advantage to be learning in school. At primary school it was a real struggle to contact the teacher, I had to write letters and leave them in reception, but now I have text, email and landline and I see them all the time at chamber concerts and orchestra and band evenings. Its a dream! DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now