Recommendations for babies and toddlers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Recommendations for babies and toddlers

Post by mystery »

From what you say about your daughter it sounds as though it was bad luck that she did not pass the 11plus? Or did she pass and there was no place? Are you living in a superselective area or not? Are you happy with the school she is going to? If not, it might be that the best thing you can do is move out of an 11plus area?
SamB

Post by SamB »

mystery wrote:From what you say about your daughter it sounds as though it was bad luck that she did not pass the 11plus? Or did she pass and there was no place? Are you living in a superselective area or not? Are you happy with the school she is going to? If not, it might be that the best thing you can do is move out of an 11plus area?
My daughter didn't pass because she just didn't make the grade on her second round. Her waiting list place was 60, and usually the waiting list goes down to around 40. This school has a huge number of applicants and really is a fantastic school but she just didn't get through.

Having said that my DD has been given a place at my old school which continues to excel and outperform other comprehensives within the borough. It also has excellent Ofstead reports. My DD is happy with the school and is looking forward to going, I think that she will really like it there. It wasnt my first choice school but it was my first choice of 4 comprehensives.

We are going to move home next year as we need more space but we have to move within a reasonable distance of my DD's school. I'll also have to consider primary and secondary school options for my DS.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah Ok that makes sense. You are trying super super selective. Round here we have grammar schools which top 25-30% of the population as a whole could make the grade could get into, and others which are far more selective.

I really don't think you can do anything to guarantee a place in the latter type other than work your socks off practising the papers, but even then, it's just down to "luck" on the day isn't it? Both your child's luck and other children's luck!

The good thing about the system near you as that you will still have very bright kids going to the comp so all is not lost if you don't make it into the superselective.

Good luck!!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

First to say I totally agree with everything said so far especially the cuddle, having two older children I am making the most of DS2's desire to still curl up on my lap while it lasts / until he gets too big (7 and growing fast!)

My additional thoughts are - do your library service offer anything for babies / toddlers - ours used to do a lovely singing / book session and the mums got first access to the new stock of books as well.
We bought all of ours tape machines(showing age here!) now CD / Ipods at a very young age as there is a huge range of talking books out there from baby to adulthood. Whilst I would recommend reading to them personally in preference there is always limitations on your time and this can be a great alternative. Useful when travelling too, although many a time OH and myself have been happily listening to Thomas the tank engine whilst driving up the A1 to discover the children were all fast asleep!

When he gets a bit older - play shops, a till and toy money and lots of board games - junior scrabble and junior monopoly are both great.

Hope DD does well at her new school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now