Winchester

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
faitaccompli

Re: Home ed

Post by faitaccompli »

Loopyloulou wrote:Well, I wonder.

I was talking to a young woman yesterday, and she mentioned something being divided into three parts. "Like Gaul?" I said. Blank expression from her. Later in the conversation I used the phrase "Veni, vidi, vici" (coined, of course, by the selfsame gentleman - by now I was having some fun). Same blank stare.

That is the advantage Winchester and similar schools will give, that grammar schools cannot.
So going to Winchester means that you know everything about everything. Damn. I've just spent the last 6 months getting my son into the wrong school. Mind you, he THINKS he knows everything about everything ... hopefully he will grow out of that 8)

Hopefully he will also grow up to be a nice person and appreciate everything that has been handed to him.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Can we not turn this into a school bating thread. It was set by Sherry as a home ed thread. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Loopyloulou wrote:Well, I wonder.

I was talking to a young woman yesterday, and she mentioned something being divided into three parts. "Like Gaul?" I said. Blank expression from her. Later in the conversation I used the phrase "Veni, vidi, vici" (coined, of course, by the selfsame gentleman - by now I was having some fun). Same blank stare.

That is the advantage Winchester and similar schools will give, that grammar schools cannot.
Perhaps having the manners to address one's audience appropriately is something that is learned at home and no amount of expensive schooling can achieve. Trying to score points by wielding intellectual or educational superiority is something many would find repugnant.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

"I was talking to a young woman yesterday, and she mentioned something being divided into three parts. "Like Gaul?" I said. Blank expression from her. Later in the conversation I used the phrase "Veni, vidi, vici" (coined, of course, by the selfsame gentleman - by now I was having some fun). Same blank stare. "

Of course a good working knowledge of the Asterix books would also give you this knowledge!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, I haven't studied latin, or read Asterix, but I know hwat you're on about. That's just general knowledge surely, and something which can be picked up as easily (or not) as knowing to put vinegar in your water for washing windows - it's all horses for courses!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Well, that's me put in my place!
faitaccompli wrote: Mind you, he THINKS he knows everything about everything ...
Perhaps that is the main advantage of Winchester?
Loopy
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Loopyloulou wrote:Well, that's me put in my place!
faitaccompli wrote: Mind you, he THINKS he knows everything about everything ...
Perhaps that is the main advantage of Winchester?
He's 10. I expect that sort of attitude from a 10 year old ... :roll:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I hadn't heard of Winchester till I came on this forum, but I did study latin and ancient Rome.....so I would have only looked at you blankly LLL when I heard you say Winchester :lol:
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

*slaps head* Vinegar in the window water! Genius!

Lucky my DS is at CRGS and will soon know everything so he can teach me!
:lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

inmystride wrote:*slaps head* Vinegar in the window water! Genius!

Nearly as clever as not hitting yourself ('cos it hurts) :lol: :lol: :lol: