M.E? - Any advice -

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DC17C

Re: M.E? - Any advice -

Post by DC17C »

My Mum had glandular fever in her mid 40's and was really ill - she ended up in an isolation ward in hospital as doctors thought she had a tropical disease to begin with. She also had liver problems with it and could not walk for weeks afterwards - she used a wheelchair for quite a while- it certainly took her a long time to get over it- it was thought she had ME or CFS at the time.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Very useful info and help. Seems I'm not alone in this. My DD who is17 is also most helpful and pragmatic.
" mum" she said this evening" this is not who you are, it is just what is happening at the moment. You will be well again, you've achieved lots in your life and that will continue- just not at the moment!"
Jesus- who is the adult! Bless her! Very proud of her.
Last edited by neveragain* on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

What a lovely DD you have Neveragain. You must be very proud of her! I'm sorry I can't add anything, but just wanted to say I hope you quickly get to the bottom of it and are feeling much more like your old self soon.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My SIL has ME and CFS and has had them for the 17 years I have known her. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. She is a member of a forum/support group called 'brain fog' which has provided valuable advice over the years. They suspect it was triggered initially by glandular fever. I also know someone who had it and recovered - there seem to be degrees of severity. Good luck
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Not sure if this is any help, but my friend who thught she had chronic fatigue after an immune system related illness has recently found out that her adrenal gland has stopped working. She had very similar symptoms to you. Have they checked your cortisol levels?
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

agree with fluffycat - a work colleague had thyroid issues and now has low cortisol which is making her really tired, particularly from 3pm as the cortisol is usually highest in the morning and used up during the day; what little she had was well and truly exhausted by 3pm. Does this sound at all like your timings?
hope you get things sorted and what a fab dd you have :D
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I went through a low patch of catching one thing after another over 20 years ago, along with a whole of plethora of strange symptoms, which culminated in a diagnosis of ME, at a time when if I recall correctly, it was also known as 'yuppie flu'?! I resolved to recover, in a dogmatic mind over matter kind of way..and I did.. and never looked back. That time also coincided with a very stressful time in my life, I thought I was coping, but these things take their toll somehow. My 25yr old niece like you, developed GF at 17, and has been dogged with ill health ever since..quincy was a recurring theme until she had the tonsils removed last year, which has helped with that of course, but she still has episodes of 'fatigue' and general ill health. GF can leave a lingering legacy I think, I've heard of many cases like that. Best wishes & hopefully you will find that recovery road very soon.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Hi,
I became ill in 2004. Not GF but some other viral infection. Ended up in hospital with chest pain. After deciding that it wasn't heart related, but they couldn't figure out what it was, they kicked me out saying it was probably just muscle strain. Didn't explain the tachycardia I also had though. Found out later that both are common symptoms of ME.
I recovered 2 years later and am well most of the time. When I do too much some symptoms come back to give me a gentle (or not so gentle) hint to slow down.
Good health is often taken for granted by so many of us and its only when its taken away from you, you really appreciate it for what it is.
I was off work for two months, then wrongly decided to go back on reduced hours. Big mistake with hindsight. I suspect if I had stayed off for another month I would have recovered much quicker.
You often hear the mantra, "Listen to what your body tells you." I would go a bit further than this.
Understand what your body tells you and do as it says. The symptoms are there for a reason.
Realise that your limits are lower. Spend the little energy you have doing things you enjoy.
At the time I found a website which helped me a great deal. Google Sleepydust.
I found that a combination of omega 3, evening primrose and Coenzyme Q10 helped, but what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.
You are blessed with having a very understanding DD.
You are also lucky to have a CFS clinic nearby. There wasn't (and possibly still isn't) any facility in Berkshire. My GP was helpful but not all GPs are understanding or know much about ME.
Feel free to PM me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now