How Do I Ride This Storm ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

Re: How Do I Ride This Storm ?

Post by scarlett »

I have to ask DS1 to explain them to me ! However it's a big no no because then DS2 gets all funny again that we think he's dim ...it's a bit of a recurring theme. :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

That last type of question you mentioned involves a bit of algebra style stuff to solve it neatly. Are there many like that, or is it one that you could safely dump I wonder?

Or does someone have some tips on how to solve that type of question with using algebra.

I do that kind of thing as

Area = length x width

So if length is 2 x width, then Area = 2 x width x width (by putting 2 x width into the equation above instead of length)........ work out width from this - it involves a square route though i.e. width = the square root of half the area.

Perimeter = 2 x length + 2 x width = 4 x width + 2 x width = 6 x width

What part of this kind of thing would he get stuck on?

I think part of the training needs to involve him not getting stuck for ages on questions he can't do but moving on with all the others he can do.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I don't think he's really stuck, he will just mis read the question or rush it because when I tell him it's not right he will do it again and say he can't believe he got it wrong.I think some of the questions might be the algebra type ones....he's not going to be happy when I start going over those ! I'm looking at the maths he did yest. and they were 10 minute Bond tests...age 10/11..the tests at the end of the book, so maybe they are quite hard ? Not sure if they increase in difficulty as the book progresses.

One money question was about selling lollies and ice creams...34 lollies for 45 p and 12 cones for 32p and he got that wrong...he made it £33.74 rather then £19.14 :? He does it all in his head so I have no working out to see where he went wrong. Some of the questions were asking which is NOT the same as....and he read it as THE SAME ...maybe he needs a pair of milk bottle glasses.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I've only skimmed the posts because DS2 is very ... energetic today! And I hope this comes out the right way but ... when DS2 says that you think he's dim, it's also a bit of an easy get-out for him (which he may need if the pressure's getting on top of him at the moment); a way of saying 'there's no point in working if you think I'm that thick.' Would it be worth you saying 'If I thought you were that thick, why would I be wasting your time and mine bothering with all this 11+ stuff. It's because I think you are bright and you've had dodgy teaching, that I'm trying to do this now?' Or words to that effect!

Sorry, I'm typing in a rush because must go to school now. Hope didn't sound preachy and I'm not at all saying your DS is lazy. But if one is feeling under pressure/ insecure (esp. if, actually, you want something really badly) it's an easy way of saying 'let's just not bother if I'm stupid'. It's easy to not do work and fail and prove you were thick. It's actually harder to work and try and maybe fail AND maybe succeed.

Lordy, hope that came out right! :oops:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Good post fb
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Bananas :) He's always been told by the girls in his class that he's thick and the dodgy teacher just said half the class was SEN to hide her failings.....I was told he had educational difficulties up to year 4 which his new teacher was horrified about when I told her . :( He's a level 5 now for everything and I tell him all the time how wonderful I think he is .I just try to reiterate that you have to put the work in at times...it doesn't fall in your lap on a plate.

I'm off on the school run now...but will try and have a good chat with him after school....so will keep you posted later at wine o'clock ! :D
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Wow! Those sorts of stories give me hope. Level 5s at the end of year 5. He's obviously doing brilliantly. Like everyone says, perhaps he just does need a little break.

Hope your chat goes well. Meet you back here at wine o'clock!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah OK so it sounds mostly like sloppy errors that are you driving you mad, and he doesn't really care much either way about about the mistakes maybe, so you're a nag!!

Having a think about that one.

Does he hate looking for his own mistakes if you point out which questions were not quite right?

Maybe you could reward him for finding his own mistakes once you've done the marking (but only on questions which you know he should have been able to do correctly). Do this on a separate occasion from when he actually did the paper. Some monetary reward for each mistake found and corrected, and working shown.

It might encourage him to make some workings first time round then as well, as it will make his job easier. Trouble is, over time it might reward mistakes ......... so you have to have another reward for accuracy.

Have you worked through the papers yourself before he does them to see which questions might be unsuitable for him at this stage? And where you might need to do some work with him before he does the paper?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

My DS is a nightmare for sloppy answers. In the end I made him start estimating so that he could tell if he was way off the mark. For example, I just gave him your lolly question (which means he has now insisted I give a pound to go to buy one!)

34 lollies for 45p and 12 cones for 32p

He did 10 lollies for 45p would be 4.50 x 3 so 13.50 for 30 lollies
10 cones at 32p would cost £3.20 so - 13.50 plus 3.20 = 16.70

Take into account another 4 lollies at 45p and another 2 cones at 32p meant he knew the result must be around the £20 mark.

In fact, it only took him another couple of seconds to do 4 x 50 = £2 (- 20p) = £1.80
2 x 32p = 64p

So he made the total £16.70 + 1.80 = 64p = £19.14 - took him about 45 seconds to do the whole thing.

If he did a wrong calculation he was usually out by 100s rather than 1s or 2s, so the estimating method worked well for him. Please ignore if the proper maths people tell you it is a silly way to do it though as I am useless at maths!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A lot of children are tired at the moment - horrible weather doesn't help because they are stuck indoors.

Word problems can be fun if you let them make up their own.

For example, an ice cream costs 75p. Make up a single stage then a two-stage problem. They ALWAYs make them so complicated that 'real' questions seem so simple.

Also make up problems from number sentences ... instead of the other way round.

Have fun! Google 'maths outside the classroom' for stuff to do outside. This month's nrich (http://www.nrich.maths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has got sporty ideas.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now