How Do I Ride This Storm ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lottie78

Re: How Do I Ride This Storm ?

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
There are only a couple of boys taking the test, Ds goes to a regular primary school so no indie school pressure or practise for him... I've been reliably told that the gs tend to separate boys from the same school to encourage mixing so I don't think being on his own will bother once he gets there, it's the getting there that's the big problem... So many boys so few spaces!!
We've been doing lots of 10 minute sessions to change things instd of endless papers which seems to be helping.
I feel like to wicked witch when he just wants to play play station and I'm saying no, just wish he truly understood how important this is but he's only a 9 yr old little boy!
I hope your Ds is feeling more confident, I'd definitely try to get him used to distraction and noise etc, I've been told it's not unusual for some children to cry , be sick etc during the exam.
Can't wait for it to be done and dusted!
Manana

Post by Manana »

Well, I'm glad it's not just my Y5 DS who is like this!

What are you all planning on doing with them during the holidays? We have a few weeks away planned, plus plenty of fun things to do, but I was still planning on getting him to do 30-45 mins of work in the mornings? Hopefully, he won't object too much as it's a lot less that having a full day at school THEN doing work afterwards. However, I can just imagine the, 'but it's the holidays!!' reply when the time comes!!
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Hi Scarlett,

I have just read your thread and feel the need to reply to you. My DS2 was no different. We regularly had crying, tantrums and frustrated discussions on whether he was doing the right thing or not. It got to the point where I was almost frightened to tell him his marks and what he had got wrong. It was just terrible :(

I really feel for you but must agree with the others that you have to ride the storm out. Do not decrease the work you are doing - I do not think it is excessive. I did buy the Bond 10 minute papers and alternated between the right age and one year earlier (this guaranteed more success for his confidence), and seemed to work well.

Mañana, regarding the Summer holidays .... I packed three 10 minute Bond books into my suitcase and tried my hardest for DS to do one or two whilst on holiday. We were away for 3 weeks and he managed 5 in total!! The break did not seem to affect him.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Its taken a few days to travel from your side of Maidstone to mine, but the storm has now reached our house.

URgh - Eek - Scream - frustration - ranting - drink wine -eat chocolate (or is it PMT!)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

A bit belated , but thanks SEP18 and Manana for your kind words. All seems calm in the Scarlett household...had a few days off visiting friends etc and he seems to have a second wind. My friend whose son is taking the test this Sept too says her son is being a bit funny and his tutor has said it's best to face up to his gremlins now ...hopefully all will then run smoothly on the Big Day :D

PC...hope things are better......my wine rack is full should you need to pop round for a medicinal top up :)

Re the hols, we've worked out together that doing about 45 mins first thing is the best plan and then it's all over and done with ....oh, and SEP18 , my DS would get all despondent if I told him he had got quite a few wrong..I just tell him he's got at least 65 % because then he knows it's better to increase that score, but he could still pass ...so seems quite happy. I, on the other hand, feel desperately despondent when I start marking and the first few are all wrong..I then think I must have the wrong answer sheet...but I never do ! :shock: :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now