Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh - help!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh - help!

Post by Snowdrops »

So, DD comes home and casually mentions a school trip and it only costs £3,500 for a whole month mum (Costa Rica - been watching too much Eastenders I think!).

Then she mentions the trip to Greece for her classics GCSE oh, and possibly a trip to New York for A level RE.

So, if this is to work (the Costa Rica one to start with) they have to fundraise and I'm asking for others' experience of their DC fundraising for this sort of thing.

What did they do. How did they do it (permsissions etc). How long did it take (we have two years to raise it).

Any and all suggestions (apart from telling school/DD to naff off :lol: :lol: ) welcome :D
FluffyD

Re: Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh - help!

Post by FluffyD »

Wow that is a lot of trips and a lot of dosh!
A comp near us did a few weeks in Japan and the kids had to raise 2k each. I used to see them selling off old books and fresh drinks on the canal near us. (Lovely picturesque canal, not a grotty one!) Selling off old toys and books on E B A Y etc. Offering out their babysitting, Dog walking services.
A boy that used to work for me wrote off to tonnes of local companies asking for sponsorship as part of their CSR policies and it worked, he got nearly half of his money this way.
Other than that, get sponsorships for doing a big event such as participating in local half marathons if they are the fit type, or even sponsored silences etc.

Open up a seperate bank account just for this and put all the raised money in it, maybe you are feeling kind and are in a position to match any money she raises or this might be something a local company could do?

Hth,
Vic x
Vic x
tense

Post by tense »

I'm glad your DD is thinking about how to raise the money - quite a few kids at my DD's school sign up to these things & just expect their parents to pay! Fluffy D's sponsorship idea sounds great.

One enterprising young lad has a refreshments stand at weekends at school for sports events, cooking bacon & sausage sandwiches as well as selling drinks / chocolate etc. The school has huge grounds which they let out to clubs so you do get more than just school parents as traffic. This is a big commitment from his parents though - they help every weekend & run the stand if he is on a school trip or something (can't let your customers down!).

I understand that arranging a quiz night is quite a big earner (esp if you can sell food & alcohol!). My DS's football team recently packed bags at a supermarket & about 7 kids raised about £500 in 3 hours. I was really amazed! If your DD could join forces with a few friends they could do this at various places & split the proceeds?

My personal pet hate is sponsored stuff - I feel like I'm being asked to fund someone else's holiday!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh goodness, £3,500. There are a lot of "charities" making money out of this kind of school holiday, and very little of the money does anything useful locally in the country to which they go, and it's also a pretty luxurious holiday for the kids ( at a high price ) and a nice job for the staff of the charity who take them on the holiday. Have you looked into it a bit further? If you and your daughter do so, and it looks dubious, you might decide that she could put all that effort into something more rewarding both for her and some well-deserving cause?
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Oh goodness, £3,500. There are a lot of "charities" making money out of this kind of school holiday, and very little of the money does anything useful locally in the country to which they go, and it's also a pretty luxurious holiday for the kids ( at a high price ) and a nice job for the staff of the charity who take them on the holiday. Have you looked into it a bit further? If you and your daughter do so, and it looks dubious, you might decide that she could put all that effort into something more rewarding both for her and some well-deserving cause?
I do agree with this, mystery. Someone we know recently took part in some kind of sponsored walk along the Great Wall of China. OH suggested that the charity in question might have been able to make use of the £2000+ which the air fare and accommodation cost, and the sponsored walk could have taken place across the Penines. Think lead balloon for how that went down.

I also think it gives young people the wrong idea about charity work tbh. There is plenty of charitable stuff which needs doing and which doesn't involve jetting off, nor fundraising. It just isn't quite so glamorous to say you are helping feed old ladies in a care home.

Sorry, Snowdrops, don't wish to make it sound as if I am being negative. And no idea if this is dressed up as charitable good-doing.
Ok, I am being negative. Just say no!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

S'okay Amber, I don't mind you being negative, but I haven't actually mentioned charideeeeeees anywhere :D

At this stage we are purely looking into what she can do to raise the money. She has actually told us what the trip's about, I've just forgotten :oops: It could well be for charideeeeeee , in fact it probably is :roll:

There is a meeting in September at school to inform people more fully, I just like to be armed with information beforehand so I can put up the arguements as to why it won't (or will :( :() work :lol:
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

ask all the guilty bankers to cough up some dosh to ease their consciences :wink:
daughter

Post by daughter »

Sounds like World Challenge? Which is probably equal doses of charideee and charity.

I know of a number of "Young Ones" (not those ones!) who have done this. It is certainly a major experience and one that is happening in as safe a way as possible. I have been involved in helping subsidise a number of these expeditions including cake sales, non-uniform day, quiz nights .... and more problematically to me I felt cornered when I said I didn't need my ironing done or my car washed and ended up giving a donation in lieu! I don't mind paying for things I want but feel that I have subsidised a number of friends DC to go on various jaunts. During a sponsoring overload period last year I was very tempted to ask said friends for a direct donation towards my DD's Interrailing - I wimped out though! She earnt most of it, got the ticket as her 18th present and grandparents coughed up a little also.

Snowdrops with 2 years notice your DD can earn that (or close to) ... perhaps get her to set a monthly target of £50 via smallish things e.g. babysitting, cake sales etc with a couple of addtional big events e.g. quiz night, Y7 school Disco etc.

Good luck whatever you both decide.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

......... and it is the World Challenge - ha, I should have set it up as a competition with a prize so, well done daughter, you won :lol: :lol:

Sounds good, on the surface, but I'll reserve judgement until the meeting in September - of course in DD's eyes she's already there!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

£3500 - what a lot of money. Mind you if your daughter is happy to set about fundraising for it herself, then I suppose it will be a great experience for her
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now