How to get a DS to exercise self control!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Re: How to get a DS to exercise self control!

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Do agree with letting them trip up sometimes.

Have let DS do this recently anc it has worked wonders for his organisation, there's nothing like missing a PE lesson (if that's your thing) because you've forgotten your PE kit or not packed your trainers. I have to say that I knew he'd forgotten his kit even though he had to step over it to get out of the front door, and I refused to make myself late for work by delivering it to him at the bus stop. OK it killed me to hear him on the 'phone pleading with me but I had to stand my ground and it has worked.

I've also refused to "write a note" when he's "forgotten" to do a piece of homework - for that read watched tv instead of doing it.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Doodles :D good on you!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

What do you mean it has a touch of the... :roll: :roll: :roll: and was it really necessary to put multiple :roll: ? Oh, and thanks for legitimising my post... :roll:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

Belinda wrote:
Waiting_For_Godot wrote:What do you mean it has a touch of the... :roll: :roll: :roll: and was it really necessary to put multiple :roll: ? Oh, and thanks for legitimising my post... :roll:
Oh, for goodness sake...
My thoughts when I read your comment...
tense

Post by tense »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I definitely do over parent my DS :oops: he's my youngest & I'm afraid I tend to do things for him I wouldn't have dreamt of doing for my DD at the same age. It seems so obvious when Belinda & Amber spell it out! Will (try to) exercise better self control myself this summer!

But actually, my DS isn't generally very forgetful or need nagging for missing homework / PE kit etc. My nagging is more telling off for the same offence type of thing - & do to with his lack of focus / being easily distracted - & repeating the behaviour within moments. Mindset - this gap does increase slightly if he's fully engaged & he is worse in, ahem, less mainstream academic subjects, art, ICT, D&T etc. I'm guessing this is because they are perhaps slightly more relaxed classes so he doesn't feel the need to concentrate so much? And I'm probably guilty of calling such lessons 'easy' or 'fun' when talking about the next day's timetable :oops:

My DS has always been like this really but has learnt to control himself more, for short bursts anyway! I suppose I have to remember he actually has matured a lot over the last year, albeit perhaps not as much as other DC.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

Belinda wrote:
Waiting_For_Godot wrote:
Belinda wrote:
I have pm'd Tense to apologise for my 'Oh for goodness sake' at you thinking I was referring to your post! Maybe you'd like to do the same!
So not only do you legitimise my posts but you now tell me to what to do? :shock:

Tense, when you do read my pm please note it was written and sent well before Belinda's last comment.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Belinda/WFG bickering on someones elses thread is highly irritating!