Teenage Boys

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Teenage Boys

Post by hermanmunster »

Doodles - that must be difficult. I have to say I think I met quite a few people at University who still had the "I am the only person in the Universe" attitude.... very trying.

One announced on day 1 that he was going to be a surgeon.... fortunately being the only person in the universe he was oblivious to the rolled eyes and sighs of more experienced bods...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My 13 year old DS also has flashes of Kevin the difficult teenager but does still forget sometimes and is the lovely boy who hides underneath, although it is more rare these days. His friends' parents tell me he is a delight and very chatty & polite so I'm hoping this side will re-emerge in a couple of years!

Still wish we were were still playing in sand pits and making play dough though :(
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

I suppose the upside is that when he's out and about he is polite, well behaved and well mannered and occasionally he does forget to be Kevin :lol: Am hoping that one day (soon) he'll realise the universe is a whole big place!!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Who's Kevin? :oops:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

doodles wrote:I suppose the upside is that when he's out and about he is polite, well behaved and well mannered and occasionally he does forget to be Kevin :lol: Am hoping that one day (soon) he'll realise the universe is a whole big place!!
Doodles it sounds to me like you are doing a great job! We all remember that being a teenager is a difficult time and they do need somewhere that they can be their worst self. Home is the best place for that imo. Choose your arguments. Let the less significant things go without comment. Always be there to talk if they want to. Encourage and praise them. Most importantly retain your sense of humour!

The one thing I won't tolerate is a lack of respect for everyone else in the house. I adopt the same policy with mine that my mum did with me. If we were in a bad mood, she would tell us that she was always there to talk. If we didn't want to talk and were insistent on being argumentative, she would suggest that we go up to our bedrooms and work it through without making everyone else in the house miserable. Do you know, I still do that now. If I'm feeling moody I will say so and retreat to a quiet corner of the house for a bit. Everyone knows better than to disturb me. :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Fran17 wrote:The one thing I won't tolerate is a lack of respect for everyone else in the house. I adopt the same policy with mine that my mum did with me. If we were in a bad mood, she would tell us that she was always there to talk. If we didn't want to talk and were insistent on being argumentative, she would suggest that we go up to our bedrooms and work it through without making everyone else in the house miserable. Do you know, I still do that now. If I'm feeling moody I will say so and retreat to a quiet corner of the house for a bit. Everyone knows better than to disturb me. :lol:
I like this idea Fran, going to try it next time we hit a trough :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Who's Kevin? :oops:
google Harry Enfield & kevin... some cracking Y-- t--- too!! :lol:

We told DS that we assumed that Kevin would be appearing from his room sometime after the age of 13 and normal conversation would be resumed at 19
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

And that's probably the truth of the matter :lol:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

hermanmunster wrote:
google Harry Enfield
Thanks, Herman, but that's enough to stop me right there! :roll:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I remember all this with my stepchildren - only had it alternate weekends though because of the access arrangements so I didn't get the full treatment you are all getting. What am I doing wrong that now I am getting it all with a 6 and 8 year old? :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now