Saying goodbye to Junior School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reeyah

Re: Saying goodbye to Junior School

Post by reeyah »

:( :( :(

We had the children sing 'We are gonna be friends' by White Stripes.. I dare u to listen to it now and not sob!!!
copella

Post by copella »

Ours were all sobbing yesterday at the leavers service, am off in an hour for the end of the school day where no doubt they will all be in pieces. This has been a very tight knit year and they gotten on so well. It is also a tiny school with few changes in pupils so most have known each other for 7 years. Also sad for the parents who have had equally long relationships. When I saw them last night, it was seeing children on the cusp of the next level. They still are quite childish but you can see the creeping adolescent lurking behind. I walked away thinking this is the last time I will be in a playground having walked my DS to school and felt quite a wrench and had a quiet sob in the car. I just have to keep thinking how lucky we are to have got the place we wanted in September.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Our leavers' assembly degenerated into a sobfest, with all the kids, parents, many of the staff and all the little ones crying too. Just too much IMHO and I am still an emotional wreck. My older DS said it ought to be a bit more upbeat and celebratory rather than a chance to wring as much emotion out of everyone as possible. The children were made to perform a very emotional song (lifted from their very emotional end of year production the other night) and they were all just standing sobbing all over each other.

I am sure when I left primary school, back in Victorian times, it was just a case of 'off you go, that's it, over and out' which I am not sure was ideal either but there must be a middle ground.
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

I didn't realise how emotional I was going to feel about my daughter leaving primary school but we tried to keep it up beat. She has a close knit group of friends as they are a small year but they managed to keep a brave face on it and the last day was so much fun I was surprised that there wasn't any tears (apart from one lad). She has kept in constant contact with everyone on Email/Ipod since and so I don't think it has really hit her yet. I have started sneaking her old uniform out of her wardrobe ready for the second hand shop and replacing it with her new one!
I think it will be strange in September as I won't be doing the school run anymore and so I won't be in close contact with any parents, unlike at primary school. Just reminds me that she is growing up!
vasu

Post by vasu »

I thought it will be a total sob feast but it was quite upbeat. Everybody agreed to meet on facetime, swapped emails and mobile no....gave each others hugs and that's it. Maybe it is a boy thing. DS hugged his best buddy and said "what would I do without you". Parting shot. :(
But back at home he is feverish and down. Wish he had a good cry. Now all his emotions are just bubbling inside. :?
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
andyb

Post by andyb »

It was all rather underwhelming. Y6 grouped themselves on the playground for the obligatory pics then were ushered off by the staff - no lingering, no histrionics. Then we met up for a picnic lunch that went on all afternoon - a perfect ending :D .
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

When eldest dd left year 6 lst year, the school sang 'one more step along the world we go' which I thought was very apt, but tear inducing. Youngest dd said they sang it this year to the leavers too.

I am wondering whether if I listen to the song every day between now and next year when youngest leaves primary, I might become immune to it and not blub :cry:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Our school does lots of lovely things for its leavers (dance, yearbook, picnic etc) and then spoils it all by having an orchestrated cry-fest on the last day. For most of the children it's not even genuine sentiment - they've just been whipped up into mass hysteria by adults who should know better. I think it's really unprofessional for staff to stage this year after year. I think there's a feeling that the more incoherent and choked up the class teacher, the more dedicated they are. I may well be cynical, but I just don't buy it. Through the sobs and self-made-oyster-swallowing are the protestations that this year's class has been the best ever. What, again? Worst of all, I don't think it helps those children who genuinely find the transition difficult. I'm all for making it a joyous, raucous celebration instead of the annual apocalypse that takes place at our school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mercifully, DD's Yr6 leavers' "play" wasn't as awful as we had anticipated. An overview of the year in the form of short vignettes, mainly amusing, with some singing and dancing thrown in. Very little weeping until near the end, and then not universal.

When DS1 left 4 years ago, one of the songs they sang was '"You'll Never Walk Alone", from "Carrot Girl", the musical'. Yes, I know, I misheard that one. Whilst every other parent was sitting there with tears in their eyes, I was wondering who the Liverpool supporter in the school was :lol:

Two down, one to go. by the time DS2 leaves in two years' time DH and I will have been traipsing back and forth to the school for 12 whole years and a term. Possibly I will find myself shedding a little tear then.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now