Random cough bug??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Random cough bug??

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:Immunisation against pertussis doesn't last long - probably just a few years. Kids (and adults) remain immune by the odd bit of exposure here and there - a lot to acheive easier in urban areas, have seen some ferocious outbreaks in rural communities - mainly 5 - 8 year olds who had lost their baby immunity.

Can have erythromycin for the bug..
don't tell me that now! I was told only if you caught it in the first two weeks, otherwise it was too late. Anyway, erythromycin is disaster for guts.... But I'm not bitter... :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Immunisation against pertussis doesn't last long - probably just a few years. Kids (and adults) remain immune by the odd bit of exposure here and there - a lot to acheive easier in urban areas, have seen some ferocious outbreaks in rural communities - mainly 5 - 8 year olds who had lost their baby immunity.

Can have erythromycin for the bug..
don't tell me that now! I was told only if you caught it in the first two weeks, otherwise it was too late. Anyway, erythromycin is disaster for guts.... But I'm not bitter... :D
agreed re erythro :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (very green) probably does work better early on but diagnosis usually takes a while - sorting out the real pertussis from the persistent annoying, non asthmatic cough

(clarithromycin not quite so yucky - well not always :oops:
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Sorry to hear about your cough. I have a couple of friends who have suffered from whooping cough recently and this dragged on for weeks. The GP has said there has been an outbreak this year and as said before, immunity from childhood does not last. Coughs anyway are persistent things. I had one when I was pregnant which lasted for 6 weeks and I never thought I would get rid of it but it did eventually go. Best advice is to see your GP if it doesn't go away and keeping you up. Hope you feel better soon.
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote: (clarithromycin not quite so yucky - well not always :oops:
Herman, that is a lie and you know it :D :D Penicillin allergy here so it's that or nothing. :mrgreen: That hideous taste in the mouth, the nausea, and another unspeakable side effect which requires its own, lovely treatment. :(
A member of the medical profession peddling untruths...I am shocked. :lol:

Too many emoticons in one post, sorry, but needed the nuances...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ho ho amber - all a matter of degrees :lol: :lol: I said clarithromycin not quite so yucky - well not always - just means that on odd occasion people hardly noticed they are taking it :lol: :oops: