Which wind instrument?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Which wind instrument?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

scary mum wrote:WFG is usually along to recommend a bassoon...
I was just about to not recommend the bassoon!!! :lol:

I'd go for small but rare so, for me, oboe is the perfect instrument. Although it can be difficult to get a good tone, many of the fingerings are similar to the recorder and when played well it is beautiful. It is much more expensive than flute or clarinet though and can sound like a dying duck in the initial stages.

In saying all that, many schools have clarinet or flute ensembles and joining these can improve ones playing. Trumpet is also a great instrument because it can be played in orchestral and jazz ensembles.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd go for a flute - easy to carry and sounds OK from grade one -

There are lots of opportunities to play in groups -you can join flute choirs, wind bands, orchestras .... and it suits lots of music styles from classical to pop and rock.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monapotsnooper

Post by monapotsnooper »

Hi there,

My dd was eight and had just taken her grade 2 violin when she was offered the opportunity to play either flute or clarinet as a second instrument. She chose the clarinet and, as it was her second instrument, she has progressed fairly quickly. The clarinet is definitely her favourite instrument of the two to play and the standard of her clarinet playing is only a smidgen behind that of the violin after two years.

DD's friend was offered the same choice of second instrument, at the same time, and went for the flute. Like your dd she is left-handed, and she assures me that she has no problems whatsoever playing a regular flute - do they even make left-handed flutes? She has made progress at pretty much the same rate as my dd.

One thing that might be a factor is the size of your daughter's hands and the span of her fingers (although playing the piano would probably help with that). I think my DD's teeth were checked out too before she started to play.

If you were to ask DD's clarinet teacher, she would tell you that the flute is the easier instrument to play, but I suspect her friend's flute teacher might have a differing opinion. :wink: I am a musical pleb (where have I heard that word recently?) and am in no position to voice an opinion, but I hope this helps a little.

MPS

PS. Personally I love the oboe, but there don't seem to be as many oboe teachers around, certainly where we live.
Waiting_For_Godot

My eldest plays the flute well and is left handed. In fact, if he practiced he'd have been better than his musical brother! :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

French Horn is totally left handed .... right handers don't seem to have any problem though. Presumably most brass instruments rely more on the embouchure that the fingers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We are a French Horn, Bassoon and Oboe family. So we are a double double reed family! The Oboe can travel with us easily, it fits into hand luggage on the plane and gets places on foot! FH and B on the other hand are like small children that need to be transported as they are difficult to carry. I would recommend the Oboe, I love the sound but if you are going to be serious about it and aim to play in Orchestras it is worth checking out the students ahead of you. You can have a whole bank of clarinets and flutes but not too many Oboes. One Conductor even told my dd it was against the law to have more than 4 Oboes in an Orchestra and she believed him! Flutes are very big in private schools, some of them have flute choirs but you would do very well with an Oboe. My niece's school has to draft in adult players for brass and have no French horn players at all. My dd was the only Oboe player in her primary school and did three grades in her first year but her secondary school is awash with them. PM me if you want any more info. DG
Waiting_For_Godot

Daogroupie, do you think your school would allow a grade 7/8 bassoon player into its orchestra asan external student?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

WFG - your son could join a County orchestra through a local music centre
pist

Post by pist »

Oh dear - thanks everyone - all your suggestions sound good! :roll:

I think maybe the flute or clarinet might be our best options - It sounds like it is easier to get somewhere with those in the beginning and they are cheaper (I am not conviced about dd's staying power) and quite portable + plenty of teachers around here. School has plenty of windgroups etc so I think she will be ok even if she is one of many. (personally I actuallay really fancy the bassson - but it is not me who will be learning :lol: - and must admit the price tag made me gulp) - also quite like the jazzy options for the clarinet and easy "conversion" to sax, might keep her interested for longer.