independent schools and gifted children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mad?

Re: independent schools and gifted children

Post by mad? »

daveg wrote:
marigold wrote:We also have a Health Secretary who is a big fan of homeopathy...even more tragic.
He got torn to shreds on Today on Friday morning over both that and abortion. Shifty doesn't begin to describe it.
odious does :evil:
mad?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

They are a shower of numpties...or is that just me ? :lol: :oops:

With respect to the kumon argument - never having used it myself. I am convinced that people who do kumon use it because their children struggle with maths. Hence the confusion at school ? Maybe not.....who knows.
instantsunshine

Post by instantsunshine »

What great posts - I have enjoyed reading them! :D 10 or 11 years ago DD1 (then in Year 1 or 2) went to Kumon as it was v fashionable at the time. From the start it felt a bit like "The Emperors New Clothes" - ie paying good money for little substance in return - ie. sheets of basic "sums" to do each week (altho DD1 was very fond of the stickers she got for completing them :roll: ) I'm not against practice & repetition when it comes to maths but there comes a time IMHO when you need to look at what service is actually being provided. From my point of view it was clear after a few months what I'd suspected all along - that the Emperor really was going commando & a few purchases from WH Smiths alongside Professor Internet could provide everything that Kumon did & more. DD1 is not at all mathematically able (hence being seduced by Kumon in the first place) but she still managed an A in GCSE last year. However - live & let live - if some people find Kumon works for them then great. OP - I'm glad for you that your DC is able & can understand why you may be frustrated with the school. I agree with an earlier poster - either put up with it on the basis the school will do things their way or vote with your feet for senior school and pick a "hot house" if you consider your DC would thrive and enjoy the greater challenge. Horses for courses as the cliche goes!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now