Losing Sleep over this: What should I do?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Losing Sleep over this: What should I do?

Post by Guest55 »

Recommended teaching time to cover the NC is three hours a week in Maths ... do ask questions!
DobbysSock

Post by DobbysSock »

I'll be hand delivering my letter of concerns first thing tomorrow morning. I knew there was something funny about the timetable. When I mentioned this to DD's tutor, she just said that she can't really comment on much regarding subjects other than her own (food tech)
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Although the school is very nice (it opened two years ago, very modern and only currently has years 7,8 and 9)

I'm assuming the school will add more years as the current students move up to the next year.

I would consider moving either to another comp or indie as the new years might be just as slack in terms of subjects. You can't suddenly increase hours for core subjects for these students as they will not be able to cope after falling behind the NC. The other point to consider her uni options as it might be too late by year 9.

Habits formed now will be difficult to break so it's better to take action now than later - she has worked for the 11+ so it's only a small step upwards for the 12+. Now you also have the advantage to experience with your older DD and you know your DD2's strengths and weaknesses.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If your facts are right, get out now. Or flexi-school her if you can - 3 days at at school doing all the lovely stuff and 2 days at home per week learning reading, writing and arithmetic!

If they are going this far wrong they are not going to change the school wholesale on the basis of your letter even if you go headteacher complaint, governor complaint, secretary of state complaint.

Is it a free school?

It doesn't sound as though you could do worse wherever you go. It sounds like the lower streams of a traditional secondary modern - at least the top streams at a good secondary modern got something a little closer to a comprehensive or grammar education.

What did your daughter get at the end of year 6?

Good luck. Ignore DH or father and follow your instincts - you sound absolutely right.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I forgot to say that if you read very carefully on the OFSTED website where is a way that you can complain direct OFSTED about an issue which affects all children's education adversely. I would say this is the situation you are describing unless the school is adequately addressing maths and English in some clever way in other lessons rather than overtly in maths and English lessons.

Brave as I am, I would not want to be the person who did this, even anonymously. You have expressed your concerns to a teacher, even without your letter it might be clear that it is you as you are possibly the only parent at the school who cares!

I might be wrong, you might have lovely intelligent and independent thinking governors who will see your point of view if you simply follow the school complaints procedure, but otherwise, it's a case of like it or lump it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest 55 does 3 hours a week recommended for maths apply to primary school too?
um

Post by um »

This sounds so much like our local (Outstanding :?: )comprehensive, I'm convinced you live round the corner from me!
At our local comprehensive, there is apparently a policy of no homework at all before Year 10. I had always wondered why the pupils never seemed to have any bags with them :roll: .

You have said that a few other parents are concerned too. Have you approached the Head teacher?
Ultimately I would suggest that you do this, and if still dissatisfied, write to the Chair of governors about your concerns too. Interested parents who are not shy to speak up, and who hold the school accountable, have been able to change policies and practices in many schools before.

You can let Ofsted know your views here: http://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ultimately there's not really anything to lose by your daughter taking the 12+, and possibly something to gain.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I'm sorry if I gave the impression that trying to do something about it would probably not work; if it is really as you fear, and is having a negative impact on progress - both your daughter's and other children's, then I would still say have a go at complaining. But be prepared for it not to work though, and don't let your daughter's education slip too far back in the meantime if that is indeed what is happening.

Um, I would find it really useful if you could give a bit more info on parents being successful with this approach. At primary level I have met nothing but resistance, and increasingly, pettiness (a euphemism for nastiness). The number of complaints to the Secretary of State that are actually investigated are incredibly low, and parentview just looks like an opportunity for schools to answer those little questions positively and get them a good rating - bit like getting a mate to do a good Tripadvisor review for you. Have I missed a section to Parentview which actually asks for some real information rather than just a standard satisfaction questionnaire?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Recommendation for Primary maths is one hour a day.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So 5 hours per week? And is there any downside for a school that does not stick to this recommendation? My children don't get this much maths, and certainly for one child it's only 4 days a week of maths at the most. I have always wondered how it can be enough.