Eviction of 3rd Orpington Scout Group

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Growingtofast

Re: Eviction of 3rd Orpington Scout Group

Post by Growingtofast »

Sally-Anne wrote:Done. My kids loved Scouts, and it would be a dreadful shame if this group was made homeless.

Very good luck with it all, and I hope many more forum members will take a few moments to sign the e-petition.
Thank you all for your support so far.

I've attaced two snippets of information that I have copied from supporters who have left feedback on the Evening Standard webside hopefully this gives a clearer picture as to how the land became St Olaves in the first place.

"The scout group have been on this land much longer than the school. The scouts had to knock their old scout hut down to make way for the building of the school and had to build a new scout building at the group’s expense in 1962. They have been on the Goddington site a lot longer than the school, which was built in the 1970’s. The scouts have more of a claim to the land than the school, it was only due to a decision that Bromley council made in 1991 that gave the land to school for free in the first place. If the council gave the small piece of land to the scout group and the rest to the school every one would have been happy….. "

"What people must remember is that the land the hut is on was owned by the local council and was given to the school in 1990’s. St Olaves claim they paid for the land but after extensive research no record can be found of this. Legally the land belongs to the school but morally it belongs to the Scouts".

Again thank you for your support the Group are very grateful.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Done! :D

My son goes to Air Scouts and loves it, the whole scouting movement is a very useful channel for childrens energies and enthusiasm and it teaches them about being part of a community.
Vic x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Shameless bump. :D
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Done.
I am a Cub Scout Leader and believe strongly in Scouting and Girl Guiding.
Good luck with your petition.
:)
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

As the father of a Scout who was selected to represent Kent at last years World Scout Jamboree in Sweden I am only too pleased to sign the petition. (Trying to sign it via Facebook so that I can get it linked to other Kent Scouts and associated groups).

This also gives me a wonderful opportunity to apologise to Sally-Anne, who appears to be active on this thread. A couple of years ago I posted for advice about raising funds for above said Scout Jamboree. Despite it being the middle of the "appeals season" Sally-Anne sent me a comprehensive detailed, informative, and helpful pm. Now I did reply, thanking her for her advice, but it was only some time later that I realised that the reply did not get sent. Can only assume I pressed the wrong, or did not press the correct, button. And I did not follow up. So again thank you Sally-Anne.

As a Postscript he did raise (with some parental benevolence) the necessay funds. He did come back a far more rounded, mature, and confident individual, and who now volunteers to help younger scouts. But his bedroom is still a pig-sty, and it is still a fight to get him to do his homework.

And I can only implore any person who reads this thread to sign the petition and help give other youngsters the same opportunities.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

dadofkent wrote:As the father of a Scout who was selected to represent Kent at last years World Scout Jamboree in Sweden I am only too pleased to sign the petition. (Trying to sign it via Facebook so that I can get it linked to other Kent Scouts and associated groups).

This also gives me a wonderful opportunity to apologise to Sally-Anne, who appears to be active on this thread. A couple of years ago I posted for advice about raising funds for above said Scout Jamboree. Despite it being the middle of the "appeals season" Sally-Anne sent me a comprehensive detailed, informative, and helpful pm. Now I did reply, thanking her for her advice, but it was only some time later that I realised that the reply did not get sent. Can only assume I pressed the wrong, or did not press the correct, button. And I did not follow up. So again thank you Sally-Anne.

As a Postscript he did raise (with some parental benevolence) the necessay funds. He did come back a far more rounded, mature, and confident individual, and who now volunteers to help younger scouts. But his bedroom is still a pig-sty, and it is still a fight to get him to do his homework.

And I can only implore any person who reads this thread to sign the petition and help give other youngsters the same opportunities.
PPS.

I think this is worth linking or posting this thread on the Kent, Medway, and Bexley fora.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dadofkent wrote:This also gives me a wonderful opportunity to apologise to Sally-Anne, who appears to be active on this thread. A couple of years ago I posted for advice about raising funds for above said Scout Jamboree. Despite it being the middle of the "appeals season" Sally-Anne sent me a comprehensive detailed, informative, and helpful pm. Now I did reply, thanking her for her advice, but it was only some time later that I realised that the reply did not get sent. Can only assume I pressed the wrong, or did not press the correct, button. And I did not follow up. So again thank you Sally-Anne.

As a Postscript he did raise (with some parental benevolence) the necessay funds. He did come back a far more rounded, mature, and confident individual, and who now volunteers to help younger scouts.
Not a problem - my sons have loved every minute of Scouts and I have seen them develop in the same way because of their experiences on camps and other activities.
But his bedroom is still a pig-sty, and it is still a fight to get him to do his homework.

To leave their bedroom, tent, bivvy, whatever as a pigsty, and to do nothing that doesn't involve fire, water and mud? Absolutely! :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

All 3 of mine are involved in Scouting and I am ever grateful to the fantastic people who give up their time as role models and supporters of youngsters at a time when so many other more glamorous and exciting-looking pursuits are competing for their time. One of mine is now a young leader, and all of them have developed and matured so much through some of the often very challenging physical and outdoor activities offered. So, petition signed, and to anyone wondering how to help your boys and girls develop some great skills, get them involved in Scouting! (DD and many other girls didn't get on with the guiding route, but adore scouts. More outdoorsy, less 'girly').

One out of 3 has a reliably tidy bedroom, if anyone is doing a quantitative study. And do not fall into the trap of thinking it must be the girl. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now