Anyone applying to Grey Coats?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fizzypops

Anyone applying to Grey Coats?

Post by fizzypops »

Anyone applying for Grey Coats? Would like to know more about what their language aptitude test is like. :D
FP Fizzypops
splash

Re: Anyone applying to Grey Coats?

Post by splash »

Yes-no idea what the exam's going to be like :| :?
From Splash :-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Absolutely no idea about the school you mention, but I have been involved in designing and administering language aptitude tests in schools. It would be unprofessional of me to give too much detail, but I will say that, unlike all the other exams mentioned on here, I reckon that they are pretty preparation-proof, and no prior knowledge of languages is likely to be of any significance in the test. The ones we use are designed to spot aptitude, not knowledge, and consist of both written and spoken elements. There would be no point at all in trying to prepare, and in fact you might do a child a disservice by doing so.

HTH :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Could Wiki language aptitude test?

Sorry don't know the school either. Are they selecting on ability to learn a modern foreign language quickly? Why?

If it's truly an "aptitude" test then knowing about it isn't going to help ...... I'd just be wondering why it's of relevance for a school entrance exam unless it's a hothouse for translators and interpreters?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hockerill anglo European set a language aptitude test for year 7 too.. these things tend to be a bit like puzzle solving with a made up language ..
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just wondered how the Grey Coat Hospital gets away with having its Assessment Day so long after everyone has to have submitted their CAF?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
fizzypops

Post by fizzypops »

Thank you everybody. :wink: :)
FP Fizzypops