x-box or wii? Which is better for a family gift at Christmas

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chumba

Re: x-box or wii? Which is better for a family gift at Chris

Post by chumba »

Ouch! Was just a genuine and simple question. Whoever said this was a scary forum is right. I think I'll go back to lurking for a while.
marigold

Post by marigold »

I totally agree with amber and daveg. We have both, bought one, given the other and part from a brief flurry when they first arrived in the house they both now live tucked under the sofa. I just can't bear all the leads /wires etc so made them put everything away after each use and obviously the effort of getting it all out each time outweighed any desire to play with them.

My son very occasionally gets out the xbox to play a skateboarding game but only if is too wet to get outside on the real thing.

A total waste of money in my opinion and I absolutely love the idea of buying chickens instead. I would imagine young children would get a huge amount of pleasure in helping care for them. Too late for this family as I have a house of badly brought up and idle teenagers but one day I may treat myself to some.

I also like daveg's idea of buying a nice rug with the money, but just imagine the children's faces when they unwrap that on Christmas day...
marigold

Post by marigold »

Sorry , didn't mean to be scary.

xxxxxxxxx
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm philosophically with Amber and daveg on this but...apart from the fact that I am yet to create suitable 'design solution' to all the kit and wires (helloooo marigold :D )I have to confess we love our wii. Bought when girls at primary and still played with (now 13 and 15). The key I think is in the games selection, sport, dance etc. Great for rainy days when all other options have been used up. I have friends whose sons seem to use if for all that interactive murder stuff which just doesn't get asked for here (and would get a reply which would get **** out on this forum if it did :D ). That said, if I were to buy something now it would be a Kinnect as it is (I think) more interactive and involves more jumping around the room :D
mad?
Browser

Post by Browser »

How about getting a tablet?

I think thats the way things are moving nowadays.
The kids can download games, play, get bored with them, delete them and then download another all for free or minimal charges ( wii games or xbox games are soo expensive in comparison)

Theres lots of educatuonal stuff available, and games of logic for all ages, you can download movies if you want, or read books like on the kindle.

I'm speaking from experience of buying the wii and now its collecting dust.

The best thing about the tablet is, that you can use it for the internet when the kids aren't around. Its abit like having an extra large smart phone.. so no keypad, so not great for typing, but great for surfing the web.

We went for the google nexus, because of budget and couldn't afford the ipad.

I don't think you could go wrong.
Amber

Post by Amber »

marigold wrote:Sorry , didn't mean to be scary.

xxxxxxxxx
Nor me, sorry. But it's one of my passions. Along with chickens. :D
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

we have the Wii; its a great game console and is used about once a week. When friends come over, its a great after dinner activity. There are so many games to choose from and can be bought relatively cheapily from many outlets scond hand. I have lost over 5kg using the Wii fit plus game over the past 3 months. I think it is one of the most cleverest games consoles out there. The level of human interaction is incredible, just be very careful with the hand held controller. There are video clips on you tube showing what happens to expensive TV's when the controller is not constrained. Happy shopping. Get it now. Especially for the miserable winter months coming up in this cold damp country, bring on spring and then outdoor activities can liven things up again.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Paramjeet wrote: just be very careful with the hand held controller. There are video clips on you tube showing what happens to expensive TV's when the controller is not constrained.
Ah yes, day one of a rainy half term a few years back and we lost our TV screen to an over enthusiastic and unconstrained baseball shot... :oops:
mad?
Ally

Post by Ally »

A Wii
Loads more fun
As a family Christmas present and for when friends are over - perfect fun.

Do you have enough room for a kinnect ?
Might get DS a kinnect to go with his Xbox but will need a major re-org to give him enough space to use it, but I wondering if it's worth it, but I know he'll enjoy it.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

I want to treat my child to the PS3 but it's been out for so long that I get the feeling that thereby be a PS4. Does anyone know.