Two new scams to be aware of.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

Two new scams to be aware of.

Post by bromley mum »

I've just been emailed this by a friend. Thought I should share it with you all. Copied and pasted below.

There is a gang initiation reported by the local Police where gangs are placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in it...waiting for someone to stop and check on the abandoned baby.

DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON!!! DIAL 9-9-9 AND REPORT WHAT YOU SAW, BUT DON'T EVEN SLOW DOWN.

"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSCREEN, DO NOT STOP TO CHECK THE CAR, DO NOT OPERATE THE WIPER AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER BECAUSE EGGS MIXED WITH WATER BECOME MILKY AND BLOCK YOUR VISION UP TO 92.5%, AND YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THESE CRIMINALS.

This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.
Paramjeet

Re: Two new scams to be aware of.

Post by Paramjeet »

How spooky, I was telling my family about the first one only yesterday. Thanks for the reminder.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Or maybe not. :D

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/carseat.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snopes and other modern myth busting websites are good when you feel the need to check things out.

Locally we get the attempted child abduction rumour twice a year, as years 6 and 7 become independent.

The rumour mill then kicks in, and I get in trouble (my middle name :lol: ) for pointing out snopes or the facts on local police website.

There are far more good people than bad out there, we have to empower our kids with the stranger danger message but our kids and us parents should still enjoy life. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

check out snopes.com

it may well be an urban myth

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/eggthrow.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unfortunately these scares do the rounds
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Thank you both. Did know about the myth busting website but forgot to check before posting :oops:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

yoyo123 wrote:check out snopes.com
:lol: :lol: Great minds, or we've seen it all before.

My favourite, because it was scary and plausible, was about a female at a petrol station.... :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

stevew61 wrote:My favourite, because it was scary and plausible, was about a female at a petrol station.... :shock:
It's not a myth, Steve. I have been known to visit petrol stations, and I don't think I am the only one. Be very afraid.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

bromley mum wrote:Thank you both. Did know about the myth busting website but forgot to check before posting :oops:
No problem, we are all here to help, best to share soonest with best intentions. :)
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Amber wrote:
stevew61 wrote:My favourite, because it was scary and plausible, was about a female at a petrol station.... :shock:
It's not a myth, Steve. I have been known to visit petrol stations, and I don't think I am the only one. Be very afraid.
And drink gallons and flame throw to the heavens :lol: no wonder the stalker didn't hide in the back of your automobile at the gas station on highway 66. Handy hint look for non-localisms. :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

stevew61 wrote:
Locally we get the attempted child abduction rumour twice a year, as years 6 and 7 become independent.

The rumour mill then kicks in, and I get in trouble (my middle name :lol: ) for pointing out snopes or the facts on local police website.
Ah, yes. A couple of years ago the one doing the rounds here was a warning to be on the lookout for the driver of a white van, or possibly a silver car (I leave it to your imagination as to the relative popularity of vehicles of these colours around here).
There are far more good people than bad out there, we have to empower our kids with the stranger danger message but our kids and us parents should still enjoy life. :D
Of course, we warn our kids that unfortunately there are some people who are not looking out for their best interests, and that they should never go off with anyone they do not know (I advise them to go to the nearest shop and ask if they can wait inside whilst they contact us if they are worried). However, I was brought up by parents who could and did strike up conversations with folk in the unlikeliest of places, so also teach them that a bit of polite conversation hurts no-one - and that my favourite saying on the subject is that - on the whole - "strangers are friends you haven't met yet"
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now