Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Floss

Re: Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Post by Floss »

Pictionary - fantastic game although it does get a bit heated at times :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

Do you all play games throughout the year? We play mostly at Christmas and on holiday (no wifi!!) A bit sad, really, because with four children, usually at least two enjoy a game!

Cluedo?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

We quite regularly have saturday games nights, intermingled with the occasional film night if there is anything new that would interest us all.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

ginx wrote:Do you all play games throughout the year? We play mostly at Christmas and on holiday (no wifi!!)
Not as much as we should :oops:

Saturday night is 'Take Me Out' and 'X-Factor' at he moment with our DD's, and that will not change until we are in the festive/game playing season.
New years resolution there I think!

Have just thought of another thing our DD's like at Christmas and other holidays.
Not really a game but we got one of those mini 'grabber' machine a few years ago and it comes out as a treat for Christmas, Easter, Birthdays etc.
I fill it with suitable chocolates and gifts. Lindt santa's, reindeers, snowballs and Lindor balls etc. at Christmas and choc eggs, chicks etc. at Easter.

Needs to be the one with a 3 clawed grabbing action. There is one with a 2 sided claw/bucket thing, but that one is far less able to pick stuff up.

Youngest DD loves real grabber machines too. Some of my best 'Dad' moments have come from winning her a Smurf or Hello Kitty :D
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

We have a game called the box game, small red box of cards that contain 'questions' such as 'something you are likely to find on your doorstep'.. and it is taken in turns to allocate the answers placed in the box with the person who wrote them. We have had many fun times with it, it has become a firm favourite with the teen nephews and nieces, including those who used to groan at the mere mention of playing a game!
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Consequences can be very funny and an easy sitting down pencil and paper game for all ages.
Look up 'Consequences (game)' on wikipedia, as its a bit difficult to explain (but not to play).

You kind of have to have played at least once to get better ideas of what to write down.
Is quite good to play with just adults after a few drinks too, as you sometimes see a different side to people! :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

We play games all year - makes us all sit down in the same room for occasionally instead of dashing here there and everywhere.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Perudo is a fantastic dice game, we became so obsessed with it that we take it out to cafes and restaurants too......
Everyone from a ten year old to adults love it, and my 17 year old DD adores it!
It is basically 6 sets of 5 dice, and 6 cups....a game of probability and risk taking and blagging.....
We play lots of games, especially when friends come round. Notice that teenagers love a game with their mates parents, risk a big favourite here with boys and girls alike, UNO yes, SET too ( although I am useless at it) cluedo, chess always being played, battleships, mancala a big hit too, as well as Yahtzee, monopoly ( :cry: ) and the bet of all ARTICULATE which we all love, and the kids verbal fluency really improves.......it is a favourite especially at Christmas!
Enjoy! It's such a primal thing to sit playing games as a family somehow, safe and all focussed on something engaging and fun.....
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My daughter loves mancala, such a simple game.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

neveragain* wrote:Perudo is a fantastic dice game, we became so obsessed with it that we take it out to cafes and restaurants too......

It is basically 6 sets of 5 dice, and 6 cups....a game of probability and risk taking and blagging.....
Hi neveragain, wow, 6 cups and 30 dice in a restaurant. That sounds brave and involving.
Do you have to shake and roll the dice? How long does a game take roughly?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now