Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pumpkin Pie

Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

With the festive season rapidly approaching, what family games do you all enjoy playing together? Board games, Wii games, XBox games, Ninteno games, PC games etc. Although we must have almost every board game going and all the electronic games we seem to enjoy playing Charades. We got a game of Charades years ago from M&S, and it never fails to keep us amused! :D
StJamesDad

Re: Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Post by StJamesDad »

'Prize Bingo' is our girls favourite when family are around.
We use a free ipod touch\iphone bingo caller app (connected to the hi-fi for greater effect) and bingo cards that came with a bingo game.
Then the winner of a line/full house gets to pick a wrapped prize from a box.
Can be played with all ages and everyone seems happy with it. No arms have ever needed twisting!
I taylor the prizes to suit the occasion and who is playing. Adults/children and/or boy/girl prizes can be wrapped differently, so granny and granddad can get a miniature whisky or a scratch card, while children get something more suitable.
Booby prizes can be fun too ;-)

Wii always gets a look in too. We are going to put ours in the living room over Christmas/New Year for a bit more room and a bigger screen.

We usually try at least one new board game each year. 'Logo' was good a couple of years ago. Deal or No Deal was a disaster last year. We are going to try 'Pointless' this year as I love the show.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

StJamesDad, your Bingo game sounds fun, especially with the Bingo caller app and prezzies. Will definitely try it out this Christmas. Thanks for the tip! :D

Oh, just went to purchase the Bingo Caller App and it's free. Yippee! :P
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I also think it sounds fun.

we don't seem to play many games at Christmas. It's difficult to find something that suits us all as DD is not just our only child but also the only child in the family so she is always surrounded by adults. We must try harder
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Not really festive but how about pass the pigs? My children love it
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Thanks pumpkinpie and readingmum.
Hope you enjoy it if you do give it a try. I feel all warm and Chrismassy now!

Our girls also like to check off the numbers on a winning card. Its adds to the fun and is easily done as they are lit up on the app we use.
Just try to make everyone understand that they have to pay attention to the numbers being called (connecting to hi-fi helps with this) as people asking "have we had 37" etc. is a pain
Grown ups also like it because the children are still/quite and not shouting out!
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

stroudydad wrote:Not really festive but how about pass the pigs? My children love it
Tell me more stroudydad.

Nice to see you 'back in the building' :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Pass the Pigs is a great game for all the family - cheap, transportable (we take it on holiday), silly, and suitable for all ages. I first played it as a student drinking game ( :oops: )!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_the_Pigs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We all like Rummikub. Recently (well,on holiday in the summer, away from electronic distractions) we have been playing a few card games with them - silly ones like Chase the Ace, Cheat etc, as well as whist and a few others.
scary mum
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

Hi

We had 'pass the pud' last year. Great game, fun for all age groups. It's a Gibson Game.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Chase the Ace is a fave of ours too scarymum.

Its not a game but 'Elf Yourself' on jibjab.com is something we did last year.
Both to send to people via email, and to make with relatives staying over the holiday period.
It got a lot of laughs from everyone and grandparents loved it.
Its worth taking the time to set the photo up correctly (its very easy to do).
We put circles of red lipstick on our cheeks to look more like elves. Might get some tiny round glasses this year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now