Bringing Up and Educating my Son... Daughter... I wish I...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YourChildrenSuccess

Re: Bringing Up and Educating my Son... Daughter... I wish I

Post by YourChildrenSuccess »

Instead of shouting " Wake up! Get up ! Dress up! Hurry up! " in the morning, I switch on Classic FM in their room 15 minutes before the waking up time. :0) This seems to have a calming effect.. on me.. and they get a good 15 minutes notice to wake up. Now I get laughter in the mornings.. :-)
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw
YourChildrenSuccess

StJamesDad wrote:Thanks for the poem.
Spooky as I was thinking pretty similar thoughts yesterday.
Glad that made some positive impact StJamesDad. Another dad shared that with me and now passing it on here..
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

As most of you know, mine are a little older with the fourth being sixteen in a couple of months. :shock:

Lots of things, of course... but mostly, I wish I had talked less and listened more.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Actually, I wish I had known then what I know now.

I am now far more confident in my own ability as when I hit 40 I decided it was now time for me and mine and having spent the last 39 years pleasing everybody else whatever this wasn't going to happen anymore. Result - we have all benefited.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

doodles wrote:Actually, I wish I had known then what I know now.
It would be great to have a big, crystal ball and sometimes I look back and think to myself, why did I worry so much , why didn't I do this or that ? but , I think we do things for a reason and so as a family we grow and develop together . Going back to the children's activities , for me they were a godsend because they took me out of the house ( when we had just moved miles away from friends ), with a toddler and newborn and probably stopped me becoming rather depressed. Not everyone has those natural parenting instincts and support from other adults, going through the same worries , ( like this place )is often the drive behind taking your child to various groups.

My main tip though, would be to follow something through , even if it's a nightmare short term.. it nearly always is a benefit long term.
YourChildrenSuccess

The best advice I gave to my DCs was this - before you do or say anything to others, ask yourself; would I like it if someone did or say the same thing to me... (Do to others...Don't do to others...)

My second best advice was probably the one below by Bernard Shaw.. :lol:
YourChildrenSuccess

I wish I found this website and forum when my DC was in Year 1 ! Or maybe its a blessing that I didn't! :)
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I wish I hadn't trained as a child psychotherapist during my first DD's babyhood, and over thought everything ( and i mean EVERYTHING) for the first few years!
Now, having seen all manner of child rearing :shock: I know that my children will be just fine, and worry much less............ :lol:
YourChildrenSuccess

neveragain* wrote:I wish I hadn't trained as a child psychotherapist during my first DD's babyhood, and over thought everything ( and i mean EVERYTHING) for the first few years!
Now, having seen all manner of child rearing :shock: I know that my children will be just fine, and worry much less............ :lol:
I'm sure you are secretly glad you did!I am pretty sure too that your children are so lucky to have a child psychotherapist mother. Better to know than not to know they say.

Can't help adding this though; :)

"A child psychotherapist decided to have a proper shop office and a banner advertising his service. Wanting to make a point, he asked a child to paint the sign board for him and to put above his shop entrance.

The boy found a small wooden board so he had to split the word in 3 places.
The sign read:

Psycho
-the
-rapist.

:lol:

adapated from Funny Part
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

:lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now